[comp.sys.mac.comm] Telnet, FTP, and NNTP for the Mac

gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) (03/01/91)

Ok, after months of begging...we are getting one Ethernet card for our
Mac II.  What I wanna know is fairly old information, but since I never
needed to worry about it before...I just skipped it.

I know that there's Telnet for the Mac (NCSA Telnet)
I know that there's FTP for the Mac (HyperFTP)
But is there a way to get News/NNTP for the Mac?
And are there better programs for all these services?

Thanks so much for re-telling already mentioned information.

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
Hey, wanna save the world? | Got sumtin' to say?        gross@umiami.bitnet

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (03/01/91)

gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) writes:

>I know that there's Telnet for the Mac (NCSA Telnet)
>I know that there's FTP for the Mac (HyperFTP)
>But is there a way to get News/NNTP for the Mac?
>And are there better programs for all these services?

There is a program available at sumex for news called TheNews. Last
version I saw was up to 1.4. There is also a HyperCard stack which
I found unacceptably slow.

There are commercial versions of all of these things available, and
I assume many of them are much better products, though I have only
seen Intercon's looking over someone's shoulder. But you can't beat
the price on NCSA Telnet and HyperFTP. TheNews is shareware.

Good luck,
pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC