[net.railroad] Amtrak/Enhanced Western Service

Chuck.Weinstock@cmu-sei.arpa (05/03/85)

Chicago, May 1: Passengers traveling on Amtrak's Southwest Chief between
here and Los Angeles this summer will be experiencing a new enhanced service
which could be extended later to all of Amtrak's long-distance Western
trains.

The Southwest Chief, which runs along the old Santa Fe trail for much of
its route, will follow in the tradition of deluxe service offered by
predecessor Santa Fe Railway trains.

Even before the days of the Chief and Super Chief, which wisked movie stars
and impresareios between Southern California and the cities of the East from
the 1930s well into the 1970s, there was the California Limited of the
1890s.  Each lady passenger then was presented with a "boutonniere of choice
roses, lilies, carnations or violets," according to the rail historian
Arthur Dubin, "while souvenir alligator wallets were given to men
passengers."

Amtrak passengers on today's successor train will find at their seats
souvenir brochures describing the train's augmented services, the route
which it follows and a special Southwest Chief Menu and Beverage List.  New
service features to be introduced May 1 are movies, taped music, and
lectures by a guide form the Inter-Tribal Indian Cermemonial Association of
Gallup, N.M.

The train's two-level Superliner sightseer-lounge car, which is equipped
with big, wraparound, picture windows for viewing the route's magnificent
scenery, is also the train's center of social activity.  Here, the "Indian
Country" guide will give a description of the sites passed between Gallup
and Albuquerque, N.M., for passengers on both the eastbound and westbound
trains.  Here also, short movies will be shown through the morning for
children and full-lenght features in the evening.  There will be bingo in
the early afternoon and a "Chief's Round up" hospitality hour featuring
Margueritas and Tequila Sunrises at popular prices ($2.25 each) in the late
afternoon.

Although a number of movie stars and other entertainment personalities still
rid the Southwest Chief, passengers are likely to be a cross-section of
America.  In an advertising bulletin of the 1890s, the Santa Fe line once
boasted that "one's traveling companions are of a desirable
class...successful men of affairs, authors, musicians, journalists,
'globe-trotters,' pretty and witty women and happy children...."

Amtrak, of course, considers all of its passengers as a "desireable class"
and apassengers find it easy to meet each other, if they so wish, in the
Southwest Chief's social center sightseer-lounge car.

Taped music of a regional nature will be played between other events in the
lounge, as well as in the dining car, and passengers in sleeping car
compartments may turn it on if they wish.  Announcements of scheduled events
will be heard throughout the train.

A special regional dish offered in the Southwest Chief's Superliner dining
car is baked half-chicken with Hacienda Sauce.  It's served for dinner with
a salad, rolls and butter, and coffee, tea or milk , for $7.  Other dinner
entrees range from Vegetable Lasagna at $5 to New York Strip Steak for
$10.25.

Besides Amtrak's own on-board publication, Amtrak Express, which is given to
all passengers, the Southwest Chief will offer a selection of magazines for
sale in the lounge car.

All passenger cars on the Southwest Chief are double-deck equipment providing
"see-level" views of the countryside, which ranges from Los Angeles and
Chicago suburbia to Dodge City's Boot Hill and Hangman's Tree.  You pass by
old Santa Fe Trail stage stops as you cross the Raton Pass, numerous Indian
pueblos through New Mexico and the Red Rock country of northern Arizona.

The route of the Southwest Chief includes such major stops as Kansas City,
Mo.; Albuquerque, N.M.; and Flagstaff, Ariz., gateway to the Grand Canyon.
Although the train operates on the "Santaq Fe Line," the railroad never
actually reached New Mexico's capital city, which is served via the nearby
town of Lamy.  A shuttle van links Lamy with major downtown Santa Fe hotels.

Amtrak's extensive tour programs can provide stopover packages at Grand
Canyon, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Las Vegas, N.M., Dodge City, Kansas City, and
of course, Chicago and Los Angeles.

A Southwest Chief tour and information packet is now available by writing:
Amtrak Distribution Center, P.O. Box 7717, Itasca, Ill. 60143.

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (05/04/85)

railroad@ucbvax.ARPA writes:
> From: Chuck.Weinstock@cmu-sei.arpa

> Chicago, May 1: Passengers traveling on Amtrak's Southwest Chief between
> here and Los Angeles this summer will be experiencing a new enhanced service
> which could be extended later to all of Amtrak's long-distance Western
> trains.
> The train's two-level Superliner sightseer-lounge car, which is equipped
> with big, wraparound, picture windows for viewing the route's magnificent
> scenery, is also the train's center of social activity.  Here, the "Indian
> Country" guide will give a description of the sites passed between Gallup
> and Albuquerque, N.M., ... short movies will be shown through the morning for
> children and full-lenght features in the evening.  There will be bingo in
> the early afternoon and a "Chief's Round up" hospitality hour  ...
> Taped music of a regional nature will be played between other events in the
> lounge, as well as in the dining car, and passengers in sleeping car
> compartments may turn it on if they wish. ...

And if what you wish is to sit quietly and view the route's magnificent
scenery through the big, wraparound picture windows, well, you can just
find yourself another railway.

Mark Brader
Actually, I liked the scenery on the Denver-Oakland route better.