[comp.sys.mac.comm] NCSA Telnet dies on Portable?

CCMK@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) (02/26/91)

Has anyone found problems with using NCSA Telnet on a Mac Portable?
The program starts and sometimes bombs immediately, sometimes bombs
when a connection is opened, sometimes when the configure menu
is opened.  This is the non-MacTCP version, and I have deleted the
preferences file and reinstalled it, etc, etc.  Anyone have any
ideas?  Other Macs similarly set up work fine.

Mark Kosten

dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu (02/27/91)

In article <5101@lure.latrobe.edu.au> CCMK@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Mark Kosten -
Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) writes:
>Has anyone found problems with using NCSA Telnet on a Mac Portable?
>The program starts and sometimes bombs immediately, sometimes bombs
>when a connection is opened, sometimes when the configure menu
>is opened.  This is the non-MacTCP version, and I have deleted the
>preferences file and reinstalled it, etc, etc.  Anyone have any
>ideas?  Other Macs similarly set up work fine.
>
>Mark Kosten

I just found a similar problem on a Mac Portable using the MacTCP version.
Dies with System error 12.  No other Mac in our dept. has this problem.

bskendig@spot.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.183111.17767@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu> dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu writes:
>In article <5101@lure.latrobe.edu.au> CCMK@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Mark Kosten -
>Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) writes:
>>Has anyone found problems with using NCSA Telnet on a Mac Portable?
>>The program starts and sometimes bombs immediately, sometimes bombs
>>when a connection is opened, sometimes when the configure menu
>>is opened.  This is the non-MacTCP version, and I have deleted the
>>preferences file and reinstalled it, etc, etc.  Anyone have any
>>ideas?  Other Macs similarly set up work fine.
>>
>I just found a similar problem on a Mac Portable using the MacTCP version.
>Dies with System error 12.  No other Mac in our dept. has this problem.

Odd; NCSA Telnet's been dying quite often on me recently on my Mac SE.
I have 2.5M of memory, and versions 2.3 through 2.3.4 will
spontaneously die under System 6.0.7 or 7.0b1 (no other INITs loaded).
I'll be sitting there typing away normally, or just reading output on
the screen and not touching anything, and... suddenly, Telnet
vanishes, as if it had never been running.  If I try to open it again
before I reboot, my system hangs.

It is just me, or has anyone else had this problem?

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."

radee@sontar.mcs.anl.gov (Soochon Radee) (02/27/91)

My friend also has a Portable and had problems running telnet. After many
attempts, we finally found the correct method to use it. You have to use
MacsBug. When telnet loads up, it gives undefined A-trap errors. We just
typed "g"-- go repeatedly until the session opened. It usually takes about
four tries. Our theory is that it may need to wake up the serial port or
something similar. This method works for both LocalTalk and MacTCP versions.

-----
Soochon Radee						radees@imsa.edu
							radee@mcs.anl.gov

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) (02/27/91)

radee@sontar.mcs.anl.gov (Soochon Radee) writes:

>My friend also has a Portable and had problems running telnet. After many
>attempts, we finally found the correct method to use it. You have to use
>MacsBug. When telnet loads up, it gives undefined A-trap errors. We just
>typed "g"-- go repeatedly until the session opened. It usually takes about
>four tries. Our theory is that it may need to wake up the serial port or
>something similar. This method works for both LocalTalk and MacTCP versions.

Maybe this works, but Telnet v. 2.4b8 works fine without this (bad)
hack.  I don't know what the original problem was, but v. 2.3 did not
work on our Portable with a Compatible Systems' Ether+ adapter, and
MacTCP v.1.0.  I upgraded MacTCP to v. 1.0.1 and also changed the
config.tel hardware line from Ether to EtherSC.  Still didn't work w/
2.3.

I installed v. 2.4 and everything worked properly.  So it may have
just been the difference in versions of Telnet, or it may have been
any combination of the above.

I don't know where you get the new Telnet, but I'll be happy to mail
it to anyone who requests it.  It is still beta.

Jeff

--
"Swing is a feeling... Everything else is just style."
				--Capt. Swing

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) (02/27/91)

Try using the Brigham-Young version of telnet. It is available in the
multigate area (ftp or netfetch/fetchfile) on munnari.oz.au (or possibly from
your local friendly archive server :-) as:

multigate/telnet/BYU.2.3.2.sit.hqx.Z

		ian
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.183111.17767@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu> dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu writes:
>In article <5101@lure.latrobe.edu.au> CCMK@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Mark Kosten -
>Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) writes:
>>Has anyone found problems with using NCSA Telnet on a Mac Portable?
>>The program starts and sometimes bombs immediately, sometimes bombs
>>when a connection is opened, sometimes when the configure menu
>>is opened.  This is the non-MacTCP version, and I have deleted the
>>preferences file and reinstalled it, etc, etc.  Anyone have any
>>ideas?  Other Macs similarly set up work fine.
>>
>I just found a similar problem on a Mac Portable using the MacTCP version.
>Dies with System error 12.  No other Mac in our dept. has this problem.

I remember  that  some older NCSA  Telnet versions  did  not work with
portable and then the  answer was to  use  newer BYU Telnet. So  first
check that you are using the latest NCSA Telnet and if it doesn't work
then try  the  latest BYU Telnet. I think  I have both at ftp.funet.fi
(also known as nic.funet.fi, 128.214.6.100) in pub/mac/comm dir.

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ===========================
P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)

loganj@yvax.byu.edu (02/28/91)

> Try using the Brigham-Young version of telnet. It is available in the
> multigate area (ftp or netfetch/fetchfile) on munnari.oz.au (or possibly from
> your local friendly archive server :-) as:

> multigate/telnet/BYU.2.3.2.sit.hqx.Z

True, it fixes the problem on the portable, but the latest
version (2.3.4) is better and available from:

zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu  (128.174.20.50)
uunet.uu.net          (192.48.96.2)
bert.byu.edu          (128.187.2.20)

Regards,
jim

hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Kurt Hirchert) (03/02/91)

In article <5101@lure.latrobe.edu.au> CCMK@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) writes:
>Has anyone found problems with using NCSA Telnet on a Mac Portable?
>The program starts and sometimes bombs immediately, sometimes bombs
>when a connection is opened, sometimes when the configure menu
>is opened.  This is the non-MacTCP version, and I have deleted the
>preferences file and reinstalled it, etc, etc.  Anyone have any
>ideas?  Other Macs similarly set up work fine.
>
>Mark Kosten

Version 2.3 of NCSA Telnet was completed before anyone here had access to a
Mac Portable.  Unfortunately, it has a bug that was benign on the Plus and SE
but that bombed on the Portable (as I remember, it was an attempt to
initialize Color Quickdraw).  You have several possibilities to get around
the bug:
o  Use a debugger to get past the bug.
o  Patch the binary to get rid of the bug (suggested patch code provided by
   Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University)
o  Get the BYU modification of NCSA Telnet 2.3.  Their modification was
   released more recently, and they fixed the bug.
o  Get a beta copy of NCSA Telnet version 2.4.  (I believe that we are up to
   beta 9, now.)

Both the BYU modification and the beta version of 2.4 are available via
anonymous FTP from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.
--
Kurt W. Hirchert     hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu