[comp.sys.mac.comm] Eudora question

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt (BNR)) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb28.213907.15058@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) writes:
> Eudora is a mac program that gets/sends mail.  It will dial-up, send any
> outgoing mail you have typed up, and get any you have received.

What does Eudora expect to dial into?  A modem on the UNIX workstation?

If you're only way into the workstation is through a terminal server, are
you out of luck?

The cisco terminal server I have is happy to answer
Eudora's dial in, but then both it and Eudora sit there and timeout.  The
terminal server is waiting for either the UNIX hostname in order to open a
telnet session, or the command SLIP, in order to assign a dynamic IP
address to a SLIP connection.

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) (03/02/91)

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt (BNR)) writes:

>In article <1991Feb28.213907.15058@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
>dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) writes:
>> Eudora is a mac program that gets/sends mail.  It will dial-up, send any
>> outgoing mail you have typed up, and get any you have received.

>What does Eudora expect to dial into?  A modem on the UNIX workstation?

>If you're only way into the workstation is through a terminal server, are
>you out of luck?

>The cisco terminal server I have is happy to answer
>Eudora's dial in, but then both it and Eudora sit there and timeout.  The
>terminal server is waiting for either the UNIX hostname in order to open a
>telnet session, or the command SLIP, in order to assign a dynamic IP
>address to a SLIP connection.

>Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
>Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
>Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca

You need to have a POP server on the other end.
what is a POP server?  good question.  I don't remember what it stands for at
the moment (its very late and my brain hurts)  but it is a flavor of mail
server.  I believe POP gunk can be gotten via anon ftp too.  Anyone else
able to help?

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |    you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar1.194141.11274@bwdls61.bnr.ca> bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben
Schmidt (BNR)) writes:
> What does Eudora expect to dial into?  A modem on the UNIX workstation?
>
> If you're only way into the workstation is through a terminal server,
are
> you out of luck?
>
> The cisco terminal server I have is happy to answer
> Eudora's dial in, but then both it and Eudora sit there and timeout.
The
> terminal server is waiting for either the UNIX hostname in order to open
> telnet session, or the command SLIP, in order to assign a dynamic IP
> address to a SLIP connection.

Eudora expects to dial into a Cisco terminal server.  Once the connection
is made, it issues one of the following commands to the server:

   telnet hostname 105 /stream   (to fetch mail via the POP server)
   telnet hostname 25 /stream (to send mail via the SMTP server)

The hostname must be properly configured in Eudora's configuration dialog.
The host must be running both POP3 and SMTP servers.

We use dialup Eudora in this way here at NU, and it works well.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

eljazzar@utkux1.utk.edu (Mohamad El Jazzar) (03/03/91)

>Eudora expects to dial into a Cisco terminal server.  Once the connection
>is made, it issues one of the following commands to the server:
>
>   telnet hostname 105 /stream   (to fetch mail via the POP server)
>   telnet hostname 25 /stream (to send mail via the SMTP server)

Is it 105 or 110 (the official POP3 port)?

Mohamad

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar1.194141.11274@bwdls61.bnr.ca> bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt (BNR)) writes:
>If you're only way into the workstation is through a terminal server, are
>you out of luck?
>
>The cisco terminal server I have is happy to answer
>Eudora's dial in, but then both it and Eudora sit there and timeout.

Eudora is happiest with a Cisco; you're in good shape.  If you aren't getting
any action, use ResEdit to add STR# resource id 2400 to Eudora; put in it
a couple strings consisting of a few returns each.

More generally, Eudora has a very primitive scripting system that will let
you send arbitrary strings during the connect and disconnect process.  If you
want the full scoop, anon. ftp to ux1.cso.uiuc.edu, and retrieve
mac/eudora/custom_serial and mac/eudora/beta/beta_serial.  The documents
cover exactly what Eudora requires of dialins.

I have people using Eudora with direct dialins, Ciscos, Annexes, Gandalfs,
and Sytek.  As I said, Eudora is easiest to make work with a Cisco, because
that's what we have at UIUC.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (03/04/91)

>>   telnet hostname 105 /stream   (to fetch mail via the POP server)
>>   telnet hostname 25 /stream (to send mail via the SMTP server)
>>

>Is it 105 or 110 (the official POP3 port)?

110; John got confused because ph (a network phone book) uses port 105,
and he's in the process of installing that at NWU.

However, it's easy to change lots of things, port numbers included, in
Eudora; all it takes is ResEdit...
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner