[comp.sys.mac.comm] I don't get it

zee@fwi.uva.nl (Daniel M. van der Zee (I89)) (03/01/91)

HELP

Can someone please explain me (step-by-step) how i can binhex and unsit files
on a unix machine and later copy them to a mac-directory. I know how to
binhex and unsit my files on a mac but that's terribly slow on my mac+.
So, I downloaded some files concerning binhexing and uncompressing on a unix
machine but i just keep ketting wierd error messages like: "not a stuffit file"
after i downloaded a file like foo.sit (yes i did it in binary mode) and tried
"unsit". I couldn't find any documentation about unsit and mcvert so please...

I would also like to know how i convert a macbinary file to a macintosh file
(preferably also on a unix machine)

Thank You,
Daniel van der Zee
zee@fwi.uva.nl

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (03/02/91)

the header of unsit-15.shar on sumex-aim.stanford.edu (info-mac/unix )
contains a reasonable explination

:after i downloaded a file like foo.sit (yes i did it in binary mode) and tried
:"unsit". I couldn't find any documentation about unsit and mcvert so please...

:I would also like to know how i convert a macbinary file to a macintosh file
:(preferably also on a unix machine)

I think here is your conceptual problem.  A 'macintosh' file can not
exist on a unix machine, hence the formats ".bin" or macbinary,
".hqx" or binhex, and the (IMO obsolete) macbput/macbget format which
is also confusingly refered to as macbinary.
( a 'mbput' 'file' will be three unix files with extensions like .rsrc )

unsit will read either 'macbinary' format, but only outputs mbput files,
so there are a lot of steps...   say you start with foo.sit.hqx
mcvert foo.sit.hqx --> foo.sit.bin
unsit foo.sit.bin --> three files for each file in the stuffit archive
if you have a terminal which supports mbput you can download these directly
_or_ get macbin  (macbinary.shar@sumex)  to
put the .data, .rsrc,.. files back together to create " .bin" files

" .bin" files must be transferred in _macbinary_ mode ( not binary )
(which is more widely supported, and works with kermit, zmodem, etc)

In either case the conversion from 'macbinary' to mac format is
handled by the terminal software. (you should get real double clickable
files with icons, etc)

Personally I use mcvert, and let stuffit do the rest on my mac (SE)
It is less hassle, and the 'stuffed' files are smaller so
you make up time on the download.

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (03/03/91)

In article <38548@netnews.upenn.edu> jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) writes:
>Personally I use mcvert, and let stuffit do the rest on my mac (SE)
>It is less hassle, and the 'stuffed' files are smaller so
>you make up time on the download.

I have to agree with this method.  It's the one I use and I've never had a
problem.  It also makes sense since not all files are in the .sit format
anyway.

--
   /   George David Nincehelser        \  george@swbatl.sbc.com     \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

schoett@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Oliver Schoett) (03/05/91)

(George Jefferson ) writes:

 > " .bin" files must be transferred in _macbinary_ mode ( not binary )
 > (which is more widely supported, and works with kermit, zmodem, etc)

Which programs support macbinary mode?  I used MacTerminal with the
xmodem protocol, and it didn't work: the file was transferred, but was
just a `dead' document afterwards.

Does MacTerminal support macbinary download?  What else does?
There's also a chance I might get NCSA telnet to work; does that
support macbinary download?

Cheers,

Oliver Schoett	     Institut f. Informatik, Technische Univ. M"unchen
		     Postfach 20 24 20,	   8000 M"unchen 2,    Germany
schoett@informatik.tu-muenchen.de    phone +49 89 2105-2390  fax -8207