[comp.sys.mac.comm] uw

jra1@ra.MsState.Edu (Mephisto) (01/13/91)

Can anyone tell me where I can find the unix source to UW?

jeff
jra1@ra.msstate.edu

verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) (01/13/91)

You can find the UNIX sources for uw on sumex-aim.stanford.edu in
the files info-mac/unix/uw-42-part[1-8].shar which includes both
UNIX sources and a binhex version of UW 4.2.  You might also look
at info-mac/comm/maclayers* which works a fair bit like UW.  The
vt100 emulation is better than uw, and it supports downloading of
files (which uw doesn't).  It also supports ioctls for resizing of
windows which is a real win.

Cheers,
Mark

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/15/91)

In article <VERBER.91Jan13101833@capemay.mps.ohio-state.edu> verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) writes:
>files (which uw doesn't).  It also supports ioctls for resizing of
>windows which is a real win.

As does uw.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (02/18/91)

re uw & MacLayers,
do these programs give a nice mac interface to unix?
will they work through internet? (i.e. appletalk net to fastpath...)
Thanks!
-Brent

jxf@orion.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) (02/18/91)

I am currently using uw v4.2, and I find it to be an invaluable tool.

However, it is lacking in a few features, like being able to upload/download
files, buffered output so you can scroll back through your session, etc.

I'd like to obtain an updated copy, if there exists a version that is
higher than 4.2 (which is dated January 31, 1988).

If a higher version does not exist, does anyone know if the source code
for the client-end of uw that is run on the Mac is available?  Failing
that, does anyone know where the author, John D. Bruner, may be reached?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

  --Jerry

--
Jerry Frain -- Systems Programmer               Kansas State University
                                        Department of Computing & Info Sciences

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb18.041844.4883@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> jxf@orion.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) writes:
>[uw] is lacking in a few features, like being able to upload/download
>files, buffered output so you can scroll back through your session, etc.
>
>If a higher version does not exist, does anyone know if the source code
>for the client-end of uw that is run on the Mac is available?  Failing
>that, does anyone know where the author, John D. Bruner, may be reached?

uw has not been updated for over two years.  (I believe the source
code to the Macintosh end of it was inadvertently lost!)

However, there's another program that may do what you want.  Try
MacLayers (available from sumex).  It does much the same things as uw
did, only a bit more cleanly.  It offers infinite scrollback, I
believe (probably using a file on disk for temporary storage, but it
works!).  And it offers file transfer in the background!

For those of you who aren't in the know: uw and MacLayers both let you
open several sessions to a Unix machine at once through a modem.  Both
pretty well-done, but MacLayers was designed to do the things that uw
didn't.

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."

bruner@sp15.csrd.uiuc.edu (John Bruner) (02/19/91)

In article <6360@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:

> uw has not been updated for over two years.  (I believe the source
> code to the Macintosh end of it was inadvertently lost!)

Gee, that's news to me.  I could have sworn I was toying with it last
week.  :-)

UW v4.2 is actually more than three years old now, and is the last
version that I distributed.  There were a lot of changes in my life
(two job changes, a move from California to Illinois, getting
married), and it moved to the back burner.  The burner was never
extinguished, but the flame has been pretty low.

I have never distributed the source code for the client side, and
(sorry) I'm unlikely to do so now.  There is more that I want to do,
and one more release I want to get out.  Alas, that "one more" release
has been in development since v4.2, and I can't really promise that it
will see the light of day.

[Besides, I'd really like to see what sort of an impact System 7.0
would have on a program like UW.  Alas, my certified developer status
lapsed a couple of years ago, so now I'm a poor slob who is
undeserving of the developer CD's.  I get the technical notes and
"d e v e l o p", but it isn't the same.]

--
John Bruner	Center for Supercomputing R&D, University of Illinois
	bruner@csrd.uiuc.edu		(217) 244-4476

bell@pyro.ei.dupont.com (Mike Bell) (02/19/91)

In article <6360@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>In article <1991Feb18.041844.4883@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> jxf@orion.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) writes:
>>[uw] is lacking in a few features, like being able to upload/download
>>files, buffered output so you can scroll back through your session, etc.
>>
>>If a higher version does not exist, does anyone know if the source code
>>for the client-end of uw that is run on the Mac is available?  Failing
>>that, does anyone know where the author, John D. Bruner, may be reached?
>
>uw has not been updated for over two years.  (I believe the source
>code to the Macintosh end of it was inadvertently lost!)

  I think that the source to the Mac side is available on the
"Mutant Ninja Disk" CD rom from the MacHack people. My copy is at home,
but I am sure that I saw it on the disk.

	Mike

Mike Bell                                Internet: bell@opus.wizards.dupont.com
Senior Engineer                          CSNet: BELLMA%ESVAX@dupont.com
DuPont CR&D  				 Applelink: D2747
Advanced Computer Technology Group

    MacBLITZ..... When you feel the need for speed..........

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb18.041844.4883@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> jxf@orion.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) writes:
>If a higher version does not exist, does anyone know if the source code
>for the client-end of uw that is run on the Mac is available?  Failing
>that, does anyone know where the author, John D. Bruner, may be reached?

John Bruner is now working at the Center for Supercomputing Research and
Development at UIUC.  He has not updated uw since 4.2.  He would still
like to do so, or so he has told me.  To my knowledge, he has neither
released or lost the source code to the Macintosh client.

His address is bruner@csrd.uiuc.edu.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

yhu@umbc5.umbc.edu (Mr. Ying Hu; CMSC (GRAD)) (03/05/91)

I am looking for a X window server software on MAC. If anybody knows there
is such a product out there, please drop me a note.
Thanks in advance.

yhu@umbc5.umbc.edu