[comp.sys.mac.comm] NetNews

drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) (08/15/90)

[Apologies:  I know this has been on the net, and I thought I saved it...]
I'd like to read netnews from a mac (which, incidentally, is connected
via a gatorbox and gatorshare to ethernet with news server).
I think I remember reading here about two ways to do this:
  -hypercard stack (from Apple?)
  -commercial product from someone?
Could some kind soul point me in the right direction?
Where do I get these?
Do you like them?
Are there others?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe (no, i didn't invent that)
-Drew Wade
drew@cup.portal.com
drew@objy.com

owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) (08/16/90)

In article <32803@cup.portal.com> drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade)
writes:
> I'd like to read netnews from a mac <...>
> I think I remember reading here about two ways to do this:
>   -hypercard stack (from Apple?)
>   -commercial product from someone?

There is a netnews hypercard stack, which I am using at this very moment.
Basically quite nice, though of course a bit slow. Probably available from
sumex-aim.stanford.edu, though I got my copy from a local source.

InterCon Systems offers a commercial product: TCP/Connect II for the Apple
Macintosh. In addition to a newsreader, it comes with telnet, ftp, and
mail. It uses MacTCP, but does not presently support the communications
toolbox. It lists for about $500 and they offer a 30% academic discount.
It's expensive, but sounds really nice. We're thinking of buying it. Does
anybody have any experience with it?

Russell Owen
owen@raven.phys.washington.edu
Astronomy Dept. FM-20
University of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195

chesley@goofy.apple.com (Harry Chesley) (08/16/90)

writes:
> I think I remember reading here about two ways to do this:
>   -hypercard stack (from Apple?)
>   -commercial product from someone?
> Could some kind soul point me in the right direction?
> Where do I get these?
> Do you like them?

The netnews reader stack (which requires MacTCP and an NNTP server) is
available as a part of the HyperCard MacTCP Toolkit, available from APDA
or by anonymous FTP from apple.com or by download from AppleLink.

Do I like it? Yeah, I'm using it now to answer this. But then I wrote it...

writes:
> I'd like to read netnews from a mac (which, incidentally, is connected
> via a gatorbox and gatorshare to ethernet with news server).
> I think I remember reading here about two ways to do this:
>   -hypercard stack (from Apple?)
>   -commercial product from someone?

There is indeed a hypercard stack. Netnews reader 1.2. It has some
limitations, mostly intrinsic to hypercard -- it's slow (but quite
reasonable on the faster Macs), doesn't handle gigantic (>32k) messages
gracefully, and once in a great while it rejects or hangs on a reply or
posting. But it has many very nice features, and most of the time is
trouble-free. It's probably available via anonymous ftp from
sumex-aim.stanford.edu, but I'm not sure.

InterCon Systems Corp. 703-709-9890, offers a commercial product which
reads news, handles mail, and has ftp and telnet. It's called TCP/Connect
II, and lists for $500. We're considering buying it. Does anybody have any
experience with it? It seem very expensive, but if it's well written maybe
it'd be worth the cost.

Some details I got by calling InterCon: they offer a 30% academic
discount, the program uses MacTCP but does not yet use the communications
toolbox (they're working on that). The mail software talks to a POP2
server (but they're working on POP3). The upgrade policy sounds very
reasonable.

Russell Owen
owen@raven.phys.washington.edu
Astronomy Dept. FM-20
University of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195

owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) (08/16/90)

I'm very sorry about the duplicate posting. I thought I'd aborted the
first post in time. (And the netnews hypercard stack cannot delete
a message once posted, sigh.)

Russell

bell@pyro.ei.dupont.com (Mike Bell) (08/16/90)

In article <6349@milton.u.washington.edu> owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) writes:
>In article <32803@cup.portal.com> drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade)
>writes:
>> I'd like to read netnews from a mac (which, incidentally, is connected
>> via a gatorbox and gatorshare to ethernet with news server).
>> I think I remember reading here about two ways to do this:
>>   -hypercard stack (from Apple?)
>>   -commercial product from someone?
>
>There is indeed a hypercard stack. Netnews reader 1.2. It has some
>limitations, mostly intrinsic to hypercard -- it's slow (but quite
>reasonable on the faster Macs), doesn't handle gigantic (>32k) messages
>gracefully, and once in a great while it rejects or hangs on a reply or
>posting. But it has many very nice features, and most of the time is
>trouble-free. It's probably available via anonymous ftp from
>sumex-aim.stanford.edu, but I'm not sure.
>
>InterCon Systems Corp. 703-709-9890, offers a commercial product which
>reads news, handles mail, and has ftp and telnet. It's called TCP/Connect
>II, and lists for $500. We're considering buying it. Does anybody have any
>experience with it? It seem very expensive, but if it's well written maybe
>it'd be worth the cost.
>
>Some details I got by calling InterCon: they offer a 30% academic
>discount, the program uses MacTCP but does not yet use the communications
>toolbox (they're working on that). The mail software talks to a POP2
>server (but they're working on POP3). The upgrade policy sounds very
>reasonable.
>
>Russell Owen
>owen@raven.phys.washington.edu
>Astronomy Dept. FM-20
>University of Washington
>Seattle, WA  98195

  I have been using TCP/Connect II, and I am generally pleased with it.
There seem to still be a few bugs in the program, but it is light years
ahead of the hypercard stack based alternatives.  I would definately
reccommend it, but the price is a little high......

			Mike Bell

Mike Bell                                Internet: mike_bell@zip.ei.dupont.com
Senior Engineer                          CSNet: BELLMA%ERVX01@dupont.com
DuPont Electronic Imaging 		 Applelink: D2747
Core Technology Group

    MacBLITZ..... When you feel the need for speed..........

b1y1m39@bagate.BELL-ATL.COM (Bob Esposito) (03/07/91)

	Can someone tell me where I can get a copy the NetNews stack???

Bob Esposito                                  Voice:    (215) 466-6831
Bell Atlantic Corp.                             FAX:    (215) 466-2593
Philadelphia, Pa.                            E-mail: espo@BELL-ATL.COM