[comp.sys.mac.comm] Unix Mail

lingerke@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Ken Linger) (02/28/91)

Is there a program the will allow my Mac to login to Unix, download my mail and
then log out?  (Automatically, obviously).  It would be nice to click something
like "Check mail" and go about something else and come back to a mail folder.
Doesn't matter if it is Public domain or commercial.

Thanks in advance!

Ken Linger
lingerke@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (02/28/91)

lingerke@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Ken Linger) writes:

>Is there a program the will allow my Mac to login to Unix, download my mail and
>then log out?  (Automatically, obviously).  It would be nice to click something
>like "Check mail" and go about something else and come back to a mail folder.
>Doesn't matter if it is Public domain or commercial.

Eudora is available from ux1.cso.uiuc.edu in the mac/eudora directory. It
uses MacTCP or the Communications Toolbox, and lets you recieve and send
mail. Requires a POP (Post Office Protocol) server, which is widely
available, running on the Unix machine. All freeware.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

zweig@cs.uiuc.edu (Johnny Zweig) (03/01/91)

lingerke@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Ken Linger) writes:

>Is there a program the will allow my Mac to login to Unix, download my mail and
>then log out?  (Automatically, obviously).  It would be nice to click something
>like "Check mail" and go about something else and come back to a mail folder.
>Doesn't matter if it is Public domain or commercial.

I bet White Knight could do it. You would just whip up a script that logged in
as you, ran Kermit/Layers/whatever to transfer the stuff, and then boogie out.
A buddy of mine has WK scripts to do things much more complicated than this,
so I can't _promise_ it could but I would be flabbergasted if it couldn't.

-Johnny Mail

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) (03/01/91)

zweig@cs.uiuc.edu (Johnny Zweig) writes:

>lingerke@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Ken Linger) writes:

>>Is there a program the will allow my Mac to login to Unix, download my mail and
>>then log out?  (Automatically, obviously).  It would be nice to click something
>>like "Check mail" and go about something else and come back to a mail folder.
>>Doesn't matter if it is Public domain or commercial.

>I bet White Knight could do it. You would just whip up a script that logged in
>as you, ran Kermit/Layers/whatever to transfer the stuff, and then boogie out.
>A buddy of mine has WK scripts to do things much more complicated than this,
>so I can't _promise_ it could but I would be flabbergasted if it couldn't.

>-Johnny Mail

Well, i'm johnny's buddy, and yes I do have some complicated WK scripts to
do funky things, but if all you want is mail, you might be better off with
Eudora.

Eudora is a mac program that gets/sends mail.  It will dial-up, send any
outgoing mail you have typed up, and get any you have received.  It is
available fvia anon ftp at ux1.cs.uiuc.edu.  You'll need the communications
ToolBox, which is communications drivers from Apple (free, probably from
your local dealer).

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |    you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

rpcfod@uarthur.UUCP (Robert Patt-Corner) (03/07/91)

If you can't get networked access or run POP (by far the best solution) there are some uucp-based solutions, both good:

MacGnuucp, shareware from Fort Pond Research (jim@fpr.com)
uAccess, commercial, full-featured, expensive from ICE Engineering (time@ice.com)

I've used both, like and can recommend both