[comp.sys.mac.comm] TheNews bugs

tony@uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) (02/19/91)

Is there a list of known TheNews bugs?  I've just tried installing this and
it worked the first few times around.  Then all of a sudden it stopped listing
any unread article headers.  It also seems to hang the Mac once in a while
when I try to exit the program.

Antonio Querubin
tony@uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu

mcdougal@tenacity.uchicago.edu (Tom McDougal) (03/06/91)

Details on TheNews bugs:

TheNews often has trouble connecting to our news server.  This may
be a timeout problem; our server often takes awhile to respond.  It
often helps if I connect to it first some other way, e.g. use NCSA
telnet to read news on our local host which accesses the news server.

Second, an apparently known problem w/ closing a groups file.  If
additions/deletions have been made, TheNews crashes.  Bill Cramer
advised me that the changes are saved before the crash.

A kind soul (sorry, I don't have your name anymore! :-]) also told me
about that bug and said that if I open the groups file "with refresh"
before making changes, the crash can be avoided.

Unfortunately, "Open with refresh" crashes (ID=02) after checking
the last newsgroup.

--
   --Tom  (mcdougal@cs.uchicago.edu)

	2025, Edgar Spindizzy realizes that
	his time machine works.

s.sutherland@trl.oz.au (Scott Sutherland) (03/08/91)

In article <MCDOUGAL.91Mar6095205@tenacity.uchicago.edu>
mcdougal@tenacity.uchicago.edu (Tom McDougal) writes:
>Details on TheNews bugs:

[stuff deleted]

>Second, an apparently known problem w/ closing a groups file.  If
>additions/deletions have been made, TheNews crashes.  Bill Cramer
>advised me that the changes are saved before the crash.

Bill also told _me_ this:

>I've come across one problem that sounds similar -- if I add or delete
>a newsgroup from the subscribed list, on quit TheNews stumbles all over
>itself, often rendering the Mac completely frozen.  This problem has
>been fixed in V2.0, which should be available in the next week or two.
>If the problem you've experienced shows up under some other circumstance,
>I'd like to get more details.
>
>Regards,
>Bill Cramer

 Scott Sutherland                          Internet: s.sutherland@trl.oz.au
 X400: g=scott s=sutherland ou=trl o=telecom pr=telecom006 ad=telememo c=au
 Telecom Research Laboratories                        Voice: +61 3 541 6340
 P.O Box 249 CLAYTON VIC 3168 Australia               Fax:   +61 3 543 1944