[comp.sys.mac.comm] Help needed: how to save MS Word file to a postscript file

yqi@emx.utexas.edu (yanling qi) (02/20/91)

Hi There,

   I have a Mac at home and I don't have a priter. I do have right to
   access LaserWriter which is connected with a UNIX manframe.I want
   to know whether or not that I can save or transfer my MS Word 4.0 file
   into a postscript file so that I would be able to kermit the postscript
   file to mainframe and print it out. Any information is welcome.

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (02/25/91)

Yes <Command>-F will give you a PostScript file, but you will have to use
<Command>-K to get the LaserWriter Prep file included into your PostScript#
file.  This is required because the initialization done to the LaserWriter
printer is this "LaserWriter Prep" file and the printer attached to another
computer will not have been initailized as the Mac wants it.

* Patrick Hoepfner                 * Laboratory for High Energy Astrophysics *
* NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center *              Low Energy Gamma Ray Group *
* America Online: PatrickH9        * Internet: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov *

PSTL-HJ@finou.oulu.fi (03/12/91)

Hi every one,

 The easiers way to produce information as prostscript code is to use
 ResEdit to make a change into the Apple LaserWriter program. You can obtain
 information of how to do that from SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU or if I'll remember
 right that information was also on netnews sometime ago. I have a file that
 came from:

 Date: Thu, 8 Nov 90 21:09:12 -0600
 Date: Thu, 8 Nov 90 21:09:12 -0600
From: Don Gillies <gillies\cs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Generating Postscript

  on that article Don Gillies explains the various  ways to produce
  postscript onto a file an then print that  file. We have even succeeded
  in printing  Ventura Publisher 2.0 Prof. postscript-file on MAC. The only
  thing is that you must delete the first invisible character from the file.

  I have a copy of the text Don Gillies mailed so if you want to have a
  copy please send Email.

             yours,
                      Heikki Jussila

-------

Heikki Jussila              EARN/INTERNET: PSTL-HJ@finou.oulu.fi
Reserarch Institute of Northern Finland
University of Oulu          telephone: + 358-81-35 3556
Linnanmaa                     telefax: + 358-81-35 3231
SF-90570 Oulu
Finland