[comp.sys.mac.comm] How to use "Public Folder"

cliu@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (chang hsu liu) (03/03/91)

There are two macs in my office, and I'd like to use "public
folder" to share files between them. Both macs are connected
to a LaserWriter IIntx. Do I still need any other cable in
order to use it? I tried putting the file in system folder of
both macs. and also created a folder named "Public" but it doesn't
work.

Thanx in advance.

Peter Liu

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar2.190020.20701@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, cliu@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (chang hsu liu) writes:

> There are two macs in my office, and I'd like to use "public
> folder" to share files between them. Both macs are connected
> to a LaserWriter IIntx. Do I still need any other cable in
> order to use it? I tried putting the file in system folder of
> both macs. and also created a folder named "Public" but it doesn't
> work.

If both Macs are connected to the same LaserWriter they should be
on the same network and be able to transfer files using Public Folder.

As to your trouble, there are a couple of things to check.  First
check for exactly the six letters p u b l i c, especially check for
leading or trailing spaces.  I've run across a few people who had
that problem.

Also, the folder names PUBLIC must be in the root of the disk.  In
other words, if your boot disk is named HD40, put the folder in the top
most place there.

Another item, is a few people don't reboot after putting the PF file
into their system folder and creating the PUBLIC folder.  You must
reboot after you do these things for it to kick in.

If you are still having trouble, either give me a call or call Claris
Tech support...

-- michael, author of Public Folder (from my days at Claris)

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (einsturzende neubaten) (03/03/91)

I hate to correct the author of the program, but I feel that this must be
done...

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com writes:
"Also, the folder names PUBLIC must be in the root of the disk.  In
other words, if your boot disk is named HD40, put the folder in the top
most place there."

This is not necessarily true: You can specify the location of YOUR public
folder under the "customize" command. True, the Default location is on
toplevel, but this is not always the case.

I assume that the problem here is not the all-too-common one of not termin-
ating the connectors, since the LaserWriter seems to work. But I don't know
--
| Beep Beep Beavers * WFNX 101.7 * Words like violence/ Break the silence/    |
| Come crashing in/ Into my little world.-DM * I KNOW that it's Einstuerzende |

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar3.081943.1436@midway.uchicago.edu>, nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (einsturzende neubaten) writes:
> This is not necessarily true: You can specify the location of YOUR public
> folder under the "customize" command. True, the Default location is on
> toplevel, but this is not always the case.

This is true, and it's worth checking in the customize dialog to see
what it is set at.  The "Use Default" button will change it back to
:Public: if someone in the past has changed it.

Not only will this feature allow one to assign other folders to be the
public folder, but it allows you to set up more than one public folder
on your machine.  Make duplicate PF files in your system folder and
use the Customize button to change which folder they point to and
the name they use.  This allows you to set up folders such as "Michael's
favorite Desk Picts", "Michael's favorite SND's", and "Latest beta
of SuperWrite".  You get the idea.  (The names do have to less than
32 character in length).

One other thing, you can sometimes get the public folder to reside
on other than the boot disk - if that disk is mounted by the time
PF runs.

-- michael

P.S.  I apologize for using the clutzy path name to specify the location
of the public folder (":Public:"), it was always my intention to make
this use Std file in the next rev, but alas,this will never be...

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

pv0b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Pomona Anupol Valero) (03/04/91)

Hi there...

I've used Public Folder quite a few times, it's ok.  Basically all
you're really doing is eliminating the use of a floppy disk for
transferring files.  It's pretty easy, let's say the files you want to
share are kept in the folder that you call "Public" on Mac #1 [m1] and
Mac #2 [m2] what's to access that file.  m2 would then go to the chooser
menu and should see at least 2 icons, one for the printer and one for
Public Folder, click on the latter.  The rest should be straightforward,
what essentially happens is that m2 copies over the file to its
harddrive.  So you're not really "sharing files."

Personally, I didn't like using Public Folder, you then get more than
one copy of a file and then have more than one person working on it.  It
gets pretty confusing to know which or who's got the current file.

Hope this helps,
Pomona Valero
Carnegie Mellon University

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (03/05/91)

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:

>Another item, is a few people don't reboot after putting the PF file
>into their system folder and creating the PUBLIC folder.  You must
>reboot after you do these things for it to kick in.

Watch the Public Folder startup icon.  If it has an (red) X through
it, then your hard disk does not have a "public folder", i.e.
you have set up Public Folder incorrectly for someone to read
your public folder or you have not created the folder.

BUT....you can still read other people's public folders as Public
Folder did load properly.

If you don't get the startup icon at all, then either Public
Folder is not in your system folder or you have an init conflict.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

rgoldstone@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU (Robin Goldstone) (03/05/91)

In article <8boZkFC00WAJIVCG00@andrew.cmu.edu>, pv0b+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Pomona Anupol Valero) writes:

>Personally, I didn't like using Public Folder, you then get more than
>one copy of a file and then have more than one person working on it.  It
>gets pretty confusing to know which or who's got the current file.

Personally, I think Public Folder is a great tool.  Rather than sending a
file to 'n' people as a mail enclosure, which results in 'n' copies of the
file being created, I just send a mail message saying that the file is
available in my Public Folder.  Anyone who wants it can get a copy.  P.F.
works great and is one of the basic tools used by all of our Mac users.

Robin Goldstone, California State University, Chico  Computing Services
rgoldstone@oavax.csuchico.edu

lenh@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM (Len Humbird) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar04.172610.7073@ecst.csuchico.edu> rgoldstone@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU writes:
>In article <8boZkFC00WAJIVCG00@andrew.cmu.edu>, pv0b+@andrew.cmu.edu
>(Pomona Anupol Valero) writes:
>>
>Personally, I think Public Folder is a great tool.  Rather than sending a
>file to 'n' people as a mail enclosure, which results in 'n' copies of the
>file being created, I just send a mail message saying that the file is
>available in my Public Folder.  Anyone who wants it can get a copy.  P.F.
>works great and is one of the basic tools used by all of our Mac users.

For those who don't have a real mail system, here's what our company
uses. We send appletalk messages using Joachim Lindenberg's Broadcast
(v1.2) rdev to let people know that a particular file is in whoever's
Public Folder.

The concept is the same, except that the "mail" program is really
low-cost.

Len
--
Len Humbird          | internet:  lenh@isc-br.com       | Phone:  509 927-5600
Technical  Writer    | uunet:     uucp!isc-br!lenh      | by land: Box TAF-C8

rae@utcs.toronto.edu (Reid Ellis) (03/12/91)

Robin Goldstone <rgoldstone@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU> writes:
|Personally, I think Public Folder is a great tool.  Rather than
|sending a file to 'n' people as a mail enclosure, which results in
|'n' copies of the file being created, I just send a mail message
|saying that the file is available in my Public Folder.  Anyone who
|wants it can get a copy.  P.F.  works great and is one of the basic
|tools used by all of our Mac users.

Personally, I prefer File Sharing under System 7.  Public Folder is
nice, but it has one drawback -- it doesn't work with System 7.0b1 or
b4.  Fortunately, you can use File Sharing instead!  And as an extra
bonus, there's only one copy of the file..

					Reid
--
Reid Ellis  176 Brookbanks Drive, Toronto ON, M3A 2T5 Canada
rae@utcs.toronto.edu        ||  rae%alias@csri.toronto.edu