[comp.sys.mac.comm] Where can I get the Columbia Appleshare Package?

jgro@lia (Jeremy Grodberg) (03/09/91)

Can anyone tell me where to FTP, EMail, or snail-mail from/to for the
Columbia Appleshare Package (free software which turns a Unix system into
an Appleshare Server)?  Has anyone actually gotten CAP to work?  Are there
better (free) alternatives?

Thanks
--
Jeremy Grodberg      "I don't feel witty today.  Don't bug me."
jgro@lia.com

makmur@paul.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar9.000158.1978@lia> jgro@lia (Jeremy Grodberg) writes:

> Can anyone tell me where to FTP, EMail, or snail-mail from/to for the
> Columbia Appleshare Package (free software which turns a Unix system into
> an Appleshare Server)?  Has anyone actually gotten CAP to work?  Are there
> better (free) alternatives?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Jeremy Grodberg      "I don't feel witty today.  Don't bug me."

--------

You can get this from rutgers.rutgers.edu
it is very big and you better FTP it your self.
the file is called ru-cap2.tar.Z  I belive it is in src directory

Hanz Makmur
Rutgers University

judge@work.berkeley.edu (Thomas Judge) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar9.000158.1978@lia> jgro@lia.com (Jeremy Grodberg) writes:
>Can anyone tell me where to FTP, EMail, or snail-mail from/to for the
>Columbia Appleshare Package ...

I was recently wondering this myself. So I thought I'd try ftp'ing to
columbia.edu, as a first approximation. A README file there informed me that
CAP was available at watsun.columbia.edu, so I ftp'ed there. Nothing
that even remotely looked like CAP, nor even a readme file. So I tried
cs.columbia.edu (another host mentioned in the first README, though not
this host was not listed as a CAP site.) However, the README file there
directed me to cunixf.cc.columbia.edu for CAP.  Finally, I thought, as I got the
README from there, which  I quote:
>CAP is no longer available through Columbia.  You can get the latest
>version from rutgers.edu [128.6.4.7] in ~ftp/src/ru-cap2.tar.Z.

Gee, they're almost as efficient as Berkeley... :-)
-thomas

judge@work.berkeley.edu	                      war sucks