ljohnson@hydra.unm.edu (Lee Johnson) (03/06/91)

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 91 05:43:32 GMT

	OK, I give up!!! HELP.
I recently got the White Knight update file from ftp sumex stanford and I am
stuck. I un-BinHexed it, UnStuffed it, and I have 2 files. One is a text file
that only tells about the *NEW* goodies and nothing about how to get at them.
The other file is something called: wk11.08->11.10.patches. I have glanced
throught the WK manual and I can`t find any info on what to do with this file.
Am I missing something? (a file or a brain?) Any help would be great..
				Thanks

		ljohnson@hydra.unm.edu <Lee Johnson>

gousha@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Charles Gousha) (03/07/91)

>	OK, I give up!!! HELP.
>I recently got the White Knight update file from ftp sumex stanford and I am
>stuck. I un-BinHexed it, UnStuffed it, and I have 2 files. One is a text file
>that only tells about the *NEW* goodies and nothing about how to get at them.
>The other file is something called: wk11.08->11.10.patches. I have glanced
>throught the WK manual and I can`t find any info on what to do with this file.
>Am I missing something? (a file or a brain?) Any help would be great..
>				Thanks
>		ljohnson@hydra.unm.edu <Lee Johnson>

Yes, you are missing something.

The White Knight updaters use this nifty updater program called PUP
Decryptor, from Paragon, that is designed for updates to programs.

It's free to anyone who wants it, but I don't think any of the info-mac
archives has it.  If anyone knows of a place where it can be FTP'd from,
let us know!  Otherwise, I can email a copy to anyone that wants it.

Interesting little program, too.  ResEdit can't touch the files made,
since they're ecrypted data and not resources, and the program only
recognizes the SPECIFIC VERSION of the target program it's designed to
update.  My WK11.08->11.10 updater wouldn't recognize WK11.07.

Charles Gousha                 |    "Yes, Star Trek IS a way of life"
gousha@cory.berkeley.edu       |               (my own philosophy)
All normal disclaimers apply, as well as some abnormal ones.

SKG102@psuvm.psu.edu (03/07/91)

    The PUP Decryptor is available from wsmr-simtel20.army.mil via anonymous
ftp.  It is in the PD3:<macintosh.patches> directory.  This site is hard to
get on to and has some peculiarities associated with it.  The cd command
changes directories and then the system asks for a password that it ignores.
I also haven't been able to change directories without specifying the full
pathname.

                                      Scott

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (03/08/91)

In article <11751@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> gousha@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Charles Gousha) writes:

>   It's free to anyone who wants it, but I don't think any of the info-mac
>   archives has it.  If anyone knows of a place where it can be FTP'd from,
>   let us know!

It is on sumex. One thing to watch out for - the file you have to
patch has to be the orignal file name.

I renamed WK 11.08 to WK, and pup-decrypter didn't work.
I renamed it back to the original name, and the patch worked fine.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (03/08/91)

I believe in the UTILS directory of sumex, you can find "PUP Decryptor," which takes care of the updates.

Steve Klingsporn

rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) (03/09/91)

>The White Knight updaters use this nifty updater program called PUP
>Decryptor, from Paragon, that is designed for updates to programs.
>
>It's free to anyone who wants it, but I don't think any of the info-mac
>archives has it.  If anyone knows of a place where it can be FTP'd from,
>let us know!  Otherwise, I can email a copy to anyone that wants it.

Yes, it _should_ be on sumex.  I submitted it there several months ago, but
never checked to make sure that they posted it.  So....

Ray

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (03/13/91)

rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) writes:

"in reference to pup-encryptor on sumex"

>Yes, it _should_ be on sumex.  I submitted it there several months ago, but
>never checked to make sure that they posted it.  So....

Yes it is in the Sumex/Info-Mac archives as UTIL/PUP-DECRYPTOR-20.HQX.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =