[comp.sys.mac.comm] Does a Mac NNTP news reader exist?

Steven.Maker@dartmouth.edu (Steven Maker) (03/05/91)

At Dartmouth College, two of us are writing a Macintosh NNTP news reader for
use as a general conferencing and bulletin board system here, and also to
interface with the Usenet News.  Temporarily called ProtoNews, it is currently
operational in developmental versions, and is in daily use by a number of
people, but at the moment only speaks our local network protocol (KSP).  A
future version will also support the Comm Toolbox, and will be usable outside
Dartmouth.  If we're allowed to, we'll distribute it for free.

ProtoNews is a MacApp program.   You read news via a three-paned window:
newsgroups, topics, & articles, with Macintosh style (not rn/nn) commands.  Any
number of windows can be open at once, containing newsgroups selected by you.
We think it's an improvement over the Unix-based systems, and our users seem to
agree.

I'm using it to post this message.

Steve Maker      INTERNET: Steve.Maker@dartmouth.edu
Courseware Development Group, Dartmouth College

bryanvv@mttam.uucp (Bryan Van Vliet) (03/06/91)

Besides ProtoNews from Dartmouth College you should look at:

1) TheNews - The latest version I have is 1.4. It is available via anonymous
   ftp from sumex-aim.stanford.edu and can be found in the directory comm as
   the-news.hqx. It requires MacTCP and is shareware for $20.00. It is fast
   but provides no easy way to display newsgroups, topics & articles at the
   same time. It also has the 32k TextEdit limit for displaying articles
   (you can still save longer articles.) Otherwise, it is quite useable.

   I use TheNews regularly although ProtoNews sounds interesting :-).

2) TCP/Connect II - This commercial software package from Intercon Systems
   provides not only an NNTP news reader but also a POP2/SMTP mail client,
   and VT220/VT240/3270 terminal emulation. It lists for $495.00 and was
   reviewed in the January, 1991 MacWorld. It uses MacTCP or its own SLIP
   implementation. It provides three panes to display newsgroups, topics &
   articles at the same time and also accepts RN-style commands. I believe
   it doesn't have the 32k TextEdit limit for displaying articles, although
   I am not sure.

   If you need vt220/vt240 emulation, SLIP or are enamored with commercial
   software TCP/Connect II is the way to go. Otherwise, at least consider
   using a combination of Eudora (a really nice POP3/SMTP public domain mail
   client), TheNews, NCSA Telnet (an excellent public domain vt100 terminal
   emulator with support for ftp), and tn3270 (a public domain 3270 terminal
   emulator) to do the same thing for a lot cheaper ($20.00 in shareware
   fees.)

3) NetNews Reader Stack - This is a Hypercard stack that works well (at
   least with Hypercard 1.2.5) albeit slowly. It has the 32k TextEdit limit
   for displaying (but not saving) articles. It requires MacTCP.

The only problem I see with the public domain NNTP packages is that MacTCP
is not available with them. Is Apple only going to make MacTCP available
from APDA or with commercial packages? If you have one commercial
package with MacTCP can you legally use MacTCP with the public domain
NNTP packages? Why is the Communications Toolbox available on BBS systems
(America Online for instance) and not MacTCP? Why isn't MacTCP available
from your dealer?

--
Bryan Van Vliet
bryanvv@mttam.uucp or uunet!mttam!bryanvv

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (03/06/91)

bryanvv@mttam.uucp (Bryan Van Vliet) writes:
>2) TCP/Connect II - ... I believe it doesn't have the 32k TextEdit limit
>   for displaying articles, although I am not sure.

You are correct.  It doesn't use TextEdit, so it can handle big articles
and tabs, as well as being faster than TextEdit would be.  Personally, I
like its UI best, but that's probably because I wrote it :)...

>Why is the Communications Toolbox available on BBS systems
>(America Online for instance) and not MacTCP? Why isn't MacTCP available
>from your dealer?

Well, the cynic in me would say that it's simply becaause Apple can't support
MacTCP to end users.  One advantage (to Apple) of making it an OEM product
is that Apple then doesn't have to deal with customers (not to mention
dealers) who don't understand what an IP number is.  Sigh...

However, as Steve Dorner has pointed out a few times, it *does* come with
Eudora, which is available for anonymous FTP.  It's also on the developer
CD-ROMs.

Disclaimer: I used to work for InterCon, and wrote their newsreader.
--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

mcdougal@despair.uchicago.edu (Tom McDougal) (03/06/91)

I have been frustrated by TheNews.  It crashes on me pretty
consistently when I close a groups file.  Any ideas?

--
   --Tom  (mcdougal@cs.uchicago.edu)

	1908, Bert Yemoth produces more divining rods
	than you can shake a stick at.

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (03/08/91)

In article <1CE00001.qsydge@tbomb.ice.com> time@ice.com writes:
>It costs a developer something like $5000 to have the right to redistribute
>MacTCP.

Yes.  For Universities it is $2000.  Or so say the license agreements I have.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

smith@newsserver.sfu.ca (Richard Smith) (03/11/91)

In <1991Mar8.170731.20178@cs.utk.edu> jnm@ornl.gov (Jamey Maze) writes:

>I tried TheNews, but it too was unreliable.  The HyperCard stack seems to
>be the most reliable news reader at this point.  I too like Eudora (with
>Berkeley's "popper" POP3 server)...

Wouldn't is be wonderful to have "Eudora/News"? Many of the user
interface features of Eudora would be useful for a news reader. I tried
TheNews (1.1, 1.2, 1.4) and was very dissappointed. I can't understand
how it can not support cut and paste - isn't that a standard for the
mac? I have returned to reading news via nn on the host.

...r

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (03/12/91)

jnm@ornl.gov (Jamey Maze) writes:

   I've got TCP/Connect II and would like to use its news reader, but it's
   rather buggy.  I was using 1.0.1, which locked up often.  I recently got
   the 1.0.6 upgrade, but it crashes at the slightest provocation.

Hmm.  I run 1.0.5 pretty much continuously, without a hitch.  Some more
detail might help.  For example, if your news server keeps articles
around for a real long time, you may need to increase the MultiFinder
memory size for the application.

   I don't like to complain, but I get the feeling Intercon doesn't
   realize there's a bit of a quality control problem here...

Have you given them a call?  They have some really good tech support
people these days.  Maybe you've got something set up wrong...

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda
--
When you are not looking at it, this posting is in French.

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar8.170731.20178@cs.utk.edu>, jnm@ornl.gov (Jamey Maze) writes:
> I recently got
> the 1.0.6 upgrade, but it crashes at the slightest provocation.  I don't
> like to complain, but I get the feeling Intercon doesn't realize there's a
> bit of a quality control problem here...

You should be up to 1.0.7, if you are not get in touch with our tech support
and let them know.

We are frustrated in that every network has an individual personality, what
works for us and many other users sometimes does not work for another.  As an
example I have been using the news reader for the past year and with the
exception of beta version problems I have not had problems.  So please get in
touch with tech support and let them know your problems so that we can figure
out why you are having a problem.  So, PLEASE complain, that is how we know
there are problems and that is how we get them fixed.  Thanks!

As an aside Apple has a PD news reader HyperCard Stack that a lot of people
seem to like.

Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products
703.709.9896 FAX               for the Macintosh.