[comp.sys.mac.comm] "Halfway Connections" with MacX & MacTCP

khj@ms.appstate.edu (Kenneth H. Jacker) (03/18/91)

I swear I didn't change anything ... :-)

I used to be able to connect (using MacX & MacTCP on a IIfx with system
6.0.7) to X clients on a Cray & Concurrent machine.  Now any time I try,
I get the following message:

  The remote command "<service name here>" could not be executed via the
  tool "MacTCP tool".  Creation of the remote command stream failed.

  The connection came up halfway and then failed.

Can anyone suggest where to start looking?  I'm using the machine's IP
address (as I did before) in the "Host option" within MacX, so I believe
the DNS stuff is not involved.

Any help is much appreciated!
--
-------
Kenneth H. Jacker            Domain:   khj@ms.appstate.edu

WHBenson@lbl.gov (Bill Benson) (03/19/91)

One way this can happen is if the remote host is not running the rexec daemon.
MacX uses the rexec protocol to startup the remote session. I think eXodus
supports rsh as well as rexec.
-Bill