[comp.sys.mac.comm] appletalk mail programs ...

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (03/08/91)

Is there any mail program that will go across an appletalk network
besides microsoft mail?  Ideally, I'd be able to include graphics
in my mail message (eg: have a .sig file with a picture of the
sender) and have it shown when the mail message is read by the
recipient.

With Microsoft mail, it is necessary to paste the picture into a
file and include the file in a mail message ... but this requires
the user to have an application open that can read the document.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but ...

Thanks,

Brad
(bh11@andrew.cmu.edu)

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (03/08/91)

In article <0bpbA3e00Uh7A1okpA@andrew.cmu.edu> bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Braddock John Hathaway) writes:
> Ideally, I'd be able to include graphics
> in my mail message (eg: have a .sig file with a picture of the
> sender) and have it shown when the mail message is read by the
> recipient.

I think QuickMail might do what you want. Each user could use QM Forms to
create his own custom form with his .sig.  I don't know if it'll let you
paste in a picture; it will let you import an icon from a MacPaint file.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (03/12/91)

From article <0bpbA3e00Uh7A1okpA@andrew.cmu.edu>, by bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway):
> Is there any mail program that will go across an appletalk network
> besides microsoft mail?

There is only one real Mac Mail program, CE QuickMail.  It's much better
than Microsoft mail.  There are mainframe/vax gateways, automatic modem
support for remote users, custom mail messages that include graphics within
the postcard you send within QuickMail.  I'm up to 30 users in my zone on
our campus network.  We have nearly 150 campus wide.  There are a few
Microsoft people here, but most of them are waiting for the next version to
get what QM shipped with in the OLD version.

Not to mention it's much less expensive.  The drawback?  If you are expecting
to be able to port to MicroSoft Mail, you can't yet.  MS will not share the
code to let it happen.  You have to go through a 2nd machine to shair mail.
This means you loose the neat graphics....

Only my opinions, not the Tigers.

mha@memory.UUCP (Mark H. Anbinder) (03/13/91)

Subject:   RE> appletalk mail programs           QuickMail Reply

John Hathaway) writes:
> Is there any mail program that will go across an appletalk network
> besides microsoft mail? Ideally, I'd be able to include graphics in
> my mail message (eg: have a .sig file with a picture of the sender)
> and have it shown when the mail message is read by the recipient.

Heavens, yes!  There is a package that's a much better alternative in MANY
ways: QuickMail, from CE Software.  Even despite Microsoft's new version, I
feel that QuickMail is the better, more consistent, more useful product... and
it's getting even better with THEIR new version later this year.

On the current question: QuickMail's included form editing utility lets you
generate QuickMail forms, which a friend of mine equates to different kinds of
letterhead, with lots of graphical elements.  You can have multiple text
fields, checkboxes, display text... and yes, pictures.  You can import sections
of a MacPaint document, or grab icons from your favorite programs.  And yes,
some users even put pictures of themselves on their forms. :-)  You can choose
what form to use separately for each message you send, so there's never any
need to get bored with your mail.

If you'd like more information about QuickMail or what it can do (I'm using it
to send this message, for example), let me know; I'll be happy to oblige.

--
Mark H. Anbinder                   mha@memory.uucp
1063 Warren Road #6                607-257-3480

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar11.225008.24188@hubcap.clemson.edu> rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) writes:
>There is only one real Mac Mail program, CE QuickMail.  It's much better
>than Microsoft mail.

There is only one real country to live in, Romania.  It's much better than
Albania.  (What?  There are MORE than just two countries?)
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

smenzel@ducvax.auburn.edu (MENZEL_SANDRO) (03/14/91)

-> Heavens, yes! There is a package that's a much better alternative in
-> MANY ways: QuickMail, from CE Software. Even despite Microsoft's new
-> version, I feel that QuickMail is the better, more consistent, more
-> useful product... and it's getting even better with THEIR new
-> version later this year.

How easily will QuickMail (or any other Mac-based AppleTalk EMail package)
allow a person to sit down at any machine on the network and send/receive
mail?

I'm looking for something that will work in a lab situation where a user
will have to 'sign' in to a machine to send/receive mail. Anyone have any
suggestions/clues?

		Sandro

smenzel@ducvax.auburn.edu		SMenzel  <- America OnLine
smenzel@auducvax.bitnet 		S.Menzel <- AppleLink

rhaller@phloem.uoregon.edu (03/16/91)

In article <91MAR13.235543@ducvax.auburn.edu> smenzel@ducvax.auburn.edu
(MENZEL_SANDRO) writes:
>-> Heavens, yes! There is a package that's a much better alternative in
>-> MANY ways: QuickMail, from CE Software. Even despite Microsoft's new
>-> version, I feel that QuickMail is the better, more consistent, more
>-> useful product... and it's getting even better with THEIR new
>-> version later this year.
>
>How easily will QuickMail (or any other Mac-based AppleTalk EMail package)
>allow a person to sit down at any machine on the network and send/receive
>mail?
>
>I'm looking for something that will work in a lab situation where a user
>will have to 'sign' in to a machine to send/receive mail. Anyone have any
>suggestions/clues?
>

>                Sandro

There is a serious 'security' problem with QuickMail in that sort of
environment. You can log in to your QM mailbox from any machine that has the
software installed. However, once you have done so, you remain logged in unless
you exit from QM by selecting the "Disconnect" command from the QuickMail menu
(or using command-L). Quitting QM leaves you logged in (this is how QM knows to
tell you when you have new mail automatically). The next person to run QM on
that machine does not go through a login proceedure (unless the machine is
rebooted). Instead, they are taken directly to your mailbox where they can
read, delete, etc., your mail. Also, while it is supposedly possible to install
QM on a floppy based system, it is really meant for machines with a hard disk
(it installs as a DA and current systems are so large that even a stripped down
version with a minimal system is difficult to fit on a single floppy).

If I were you, I would seriously consider using Eudora instead. Most such
installations provide mail service to Eudora via a unix box running a pop
server, but I believe there is a pop server for Macs that runs under MOS (not
AUX). I prefer the Eudora interface (I use both on a daily basis) and it gives
you email access to the Internet world as well. One thing QM does give you that
Eudora does not is a white pages capability for all other QM users. On the
other hand, Eudora is PDS while QM must be purchased. Current cost is something
on the order of $35 a mailbox if you buy a ten pack, and you will need a
separate mailbox for each person, not for each machine. You can install the
software on as many machines as you want, but it will only allow you 'n'
mailboxes.

Is there a downside to Eudora? Well, depending on how people configure their
individual clients, old mail can build up on your unix box (i.e., "leave mail
on server" delivers a copy to the mac without deleting the originals on the pop
server). Unfortunately, the users can't delete it retroactively from Eudora .
They have to log on to a unix account on your pop server and do it that way or
your system administrator has to do it for them. Maybe it is possible to hack
on Eudora to remove the option in question or maybe the author, Steve Dorner
(s-dorner@uiuc.edu), could be persuaded to deal with this problem in a future
release.

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar15.190155.27523@ns.uoregon.edu> rhaller@phloem.uoregon.edu writes:
>Is there a downside to Eudora? Well, depending on how people configure their
>individual clients, old mail can build up on your unix box (i.e., "leave mail
>on server" delivers a copy to the mac without deleting the originals on the pop
>server). Unfortunately, the users can't delete it retroactively from Eudora .

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

All they have to do is turn "Leave Mail on Server" OFF and check their mail.
Yes, they will have to wait while it is all downloaded again.  That's their
punishment for having LMOS on :-).

The real answer to this problem is education.  We teach our users that
this option (LMOS) bites, and that they should only use it in specific
circumstances (when checking mail from a mac they only occasionally use,
so they will get the mail on their 'home' mac later).

The POP protocol is unsuited to doing maildrop management, unless you're
willing to treat your maildrop as just another mailbox over the network,
ala IMAP.  This is fine for people on high-speed permanent networks,
but would be hell for 2400 baud (or less) dialup users, and heaven help
you if you are chaged by the minute.

Now, some fairly simple extensions to POP could probably solve this
particular problem.  Others would remain, however, and I'd rather
see POP dropped in favor of PCMAIL, which is the right way to handle
reading your mail from multiple hosts.  Should time (or funding)
ever permit, that's the direction I will go.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) (03/17/91)

In article <1991Mar13.144857.21479@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>In article <1991Mar11.225008.24188@hubcap.clemson.edu> rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) writes:
>>There is only one real Mac Mail program, CE QuickMail.  It's much better
>>than Microsoft mail.

>There is only one real country to live in, Romania.  It's much better than
>Albania.  (What?  There are MORE than just two countries?)

I'm appalled.  You should have at least let everyone *know* in this
posting that you're the Maximum Leader of North Korea....  :-)

Serious question: which machine is Eudora located on for ftp?  I had
it written down somewhere, but I lost the piece of paper....
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtunq.att.com     att!mtunq!ralph

Nothing falls up without being hurled

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (03/18/91)

>Serious question: which machine is Eudora located on for ftp?  I had
>it written down somewhere, but I lost the piece of paper....

ux1.cso.uiuc.edu, mac/eudora subdirectory.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (03/19/91)

Two points:

1.  I don't think Steve should have to advertise his own work here, so
I'll sing laudatory praises for Eudora -- it's wonderful, seems to
work really well, I like it bunches, and Steve is quick to answer
questions, even from snotty Stanford people who get uppity when he
points out design shortcomings in the similar Stanford-designed
application.  For Mac-based mail programs which read your mail from a
SMTP host, I haven't seen better.

2.  I got the impression that the original poster was looking for a
complete Mac-based mail system (i.e. the server was on Macs as well).
I got the impression that Eudora wasn't this (correct me if I'm
wrong).  But the original poster wanted one other than MS Mail because
he thought MS Mail couldn't handle graphics.  In fact, it can.  They
even include a note template exclusively for that purpose.

	== Daniel ==

---------------------------
D. Daniel Sternbergh
ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (03/19/91)

FYI, I've set up a simple Mac mail system which now runs on a small
LocalTalk network; it consists of MailStop (POP2 server) running on an
obsolete Mac Plus with an obsolete 60MB hard disk, and POPMail and TOPMail
clients. All software is from boombox.micro.umn.edu.
MailStop is the *only* non-commercial Mac server I'm aware of. Nothing
fancy, but it works fine. The clients are quite slow (HC stacks), and
POPMail doesn't feel well with only 1MB (TOPMail was designed to work on
"lean" Macs). I'd much rather use Eudora, or (a not-too-distant second)
TechMail, but they are POP3. Maybe someone out there can write a simple
POP3 Mac server for those small groups who don't want to bother with a Unix
machine?

--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu