[comp.sys.mac.comm] Question in using anonymous FTP

domenikos@emass.enet.dec.com (George Domenikos.) (03/21/91)

Can someone tell me what the exact syntax is in using anonymous FTP
to a given pathname?  Please provide an example if you can.

thanks

George

lrm3@ellis.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller) (03/21/91)

In article <4178@ryn.mro4.dec.com> domenikos@emass.enet.dec.com (George Domenikos.) writes:

>Can someone tell me what the exact syntax is in using anonymous FTP
>to a given pathname?  Please provide an example if you can.
>
>thanks
>
>George

Sure.  This is an example of ftp'ing to the archive site sumex-aim.stanford.edu.
The syntax on your system might vary slightly, but you will still have all
of the same prompts & responses.  Note that at the Password: prompt you
are supposed to type in user@host; this is not echoed back.  In this example

I log in as anonymous.		ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu
				anonymous
Type in my username at		lars@spurtle.rh.uchicago.edu
the Password: prompt
(not echoed).
List the directory (-C		ls -C
is for nice formatting
just like in unix.  ls
with no modifier also works).
Move to the info-mac		cd info-mac
directory (like unix)
List it...			ls -C
Retrive a file in the		get 00readme.txt
current directory in
ascii mode (text or hqx
should go in ascii mode).
Quit ftp.			quit

In the following commands, "directory" and "filname" are the name of a file
or directory..

To switch between ascii mode and binary mode (for .Z files, .Bin, etc) you
can type "binary" or "ascii" at the ftp> prompt.  By default files that you get
will go into your home directory.  The command "lcd directory" will change your
directory so that files that you get will go there.  "!ls" will list your
local directory (in fact, !command will execute any unix command on your
own machine while in ftp).  To send files (not used much in anonymous ftp)
use "put filename".  Type "man ftp" from the UNIX command prompt for more
info on ftp.

Beginning of example-----------------------------------------
spurtle.lars 2 # ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu
Connected to sumex-aim.stanford.edu.
220 sumex-aim FTP server (SunOS 4.0/3) ready.
Name (sumex-aim.stanford.edu:lars): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send mail address (user@host) as password.
Password:
230 Guest connection 17 (of 25) accepted, access restrictions apply.
ftp> ls -C
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for /bin/ls (128.135.100.31,1069).
allegro122.sit.hqx.crypt        info-mac
bin                             pid
etc                             pub
imap                            tmycin
226 ASCII Transfer complete.
remote: -C
75 bytes received in 5e-06 seconds (1.5e+04 Kbytes/s)
ftp> cd info-mac
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls -C
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for /bin/ls (128.135.100.31,1070).
00readme.txt    cdev            fkey            lang            tech
app             comm            font            misc            tips
apple           da              game            report          unix
art             demo            help            sound           util
card            digest          init            source          virus
226 ASCII Transfer complete.
remote: -C
162 bytes received in 0.033 seconds (4.7 Kbytes/s)
ftp> get 00readme.txt
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for 00readme.txt (128.135.100.31,1071) (976 bytes).
226 ASCII Transfer complete.
999 bytes received in 0.27 seconds (3.7 Kbytes/s)
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.
spurtle.lars 3 #

Hope this helps.  If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Lawrence Miller