[comp.sys.mac.comm] Serial ports

tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) (03/26/91)

I bought an excellent 4-port serial card from Taniwha systems so that I could run
my bulletin board on a Mac IIfx and still have more serial ports to play with.
My (naive) assumption was that I could put the Imagewriter printer, MacRecorder
MacVision, Localtalk, MIDI and anything else I wanted on this card.

Well I can...but the Chooser doesn't know about the card - because it is not
aware of the Communications Toolbox? And Farallon tells me that it is impossible
to have the MacRecorder software be aware of any other port. This I frankly
disbelieve, but the telephone contact was not a programmer. He claimed that
the Communications Toolbox was so buggy they did not want to use it!

Farallon is one thing, but Apple is different. I do not see why the Chooser is
not aware that there might be other things available besides Modem and Printer
outputs. Why does it not knwo about the things that the Communications Toolbox
knows about?

I am running system 7.0b4 in case anyone cares.

--
Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han) (03/27/91)

In article <856@adimail.UUCP> tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) writes:
>Well I can...but the Chooser doesn't know about the card - because it is not
>aware of the Communications Toolbox?

The problem is that the printer drivers need to be made aware of the
Comm Rsrc Mgr list of serial ports.

> And Farallon tells me that it is impossible
>to have the MacRecorder software be aware of any other port. This I frankly
>disbelieve, but the telephone contact was not a programmer. He claimed that
>the Communications Toolbox was so buggy they did not want to use it!

I cannot comment on Farallon's (inaccurate) statement except that there are
hundreds and hundreds of developers worldwide using the CommToolbox.

I will pass your comments on to the printshop.  Thanks for your input.
--
Byron Han, CommToolbox Emir       Changing the world, one connection at a time
Apple Computer, Inc.              --------------------------------------------

mha@memory.UUCP (Mark H. Anbinder) (03/27/91)

Subject:   RE> Serial ports                      QuickMail Reply

In article <856@adimail.UUCP> tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) says:

> I bought an excellent 4-port serial card from Taniwha systems so that
> I could run my bulletin board on a Mac IIfx and still have more
> serial ports to play with. My (naive) assumption was that I could put
> the Imagewriter printer, MacRecorder MacVision, Localtalk, MIDI and
> anything else I wanted on this card.
>
> Well I can...but the Chooser doesn't know about the card - because it
> is not aware of the Communications Toolbox? And Farallon tells me
> that it is impossible to have the MacRecorder software be aware of
> any other port. This I frankly disbelieve, but the telephone contact
> was not a programmer. He claimed that the Communications Toolbox was
> so buggy they did not want to use it!

Apple's original plans for System 7 included a completely new Print Manager
with a new printing architecture that would require new print drivers, etc.
This fell by the wayside, though, and will probably be part of a later release.
 I believe that this would have included support for different connection
methods than are available in today's print drivers, and probably would have
been compatible with CTB devices like the Taniwha CommCard.  I suspect it would
also have supported such things as ADB printers, which Apple has considered,
though the ADB isn't really fast enough to handle today's printers.  Byron Han
(Apple CTB Emir) commented in his followup that any CTB-compatible print
drivers would have to be new ones, and he's right.

Farallon is, unfortunately, right about the MacRecorder.  Their software
accesses the serial port DIRECTLY through hardware, rather than using the
"Apple-approved" method, of accessing a port through serial-port-management
Toolbox calls.  They presumably did this in order to get the best possible data
transfer between the recorder and the software controlling it.  It means,
though, that they would have to re-write the software from the ground up, even
if doing so would provide satisfactory performance, in order to get it working
with CTB serial ports.

Happily, this means that you can leave your MacRecorder plugged into the modem
port, at the same time that you have told the Taniwha CommCard to pretend that
one of ITS ports is the modem port.  Virtually all communications software that
tries to use the modem port will go through the CommCard, but the MacRecorder
will obliviously keep using the real modem port.  As long as you don't have too
many devices this picky, you'll be fine.

You can tell the Chooser that the ImageWriter is in the printer port, as long
as you tell the CommCard to reroute any printer port activity to the right port
on the card.  I'm not sure how best to handle everything else... but the more
we tell software and hardware vendors that we want CTB-compatible products, the
more quickly they'll get about providing them.

--
Mark H. Anbinder                   mha@memory.uucp
1063 Warren Road #6                607-257-3480