[comp.sys.mac.comm] Strange mail header from Eudora-posted-mail

j1whalen@bach.helios.nd.edu (Jon Whalen) (03/28/91)

To: net.mac_to_unix.communication.gods,

We get a very odd thing when mail is sent via Eudora. In one of the lines
explaining the delivery path that mail came thru (you know, the stuff in the
mail header), there are lines like this:

>Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 17:06:36 EST

Note that banquo is the name associated with the ip adress of the mac
(in /etc/hosts on the sparc nis server) and we hand-assign ip addresses to
the macs on our network.

The problem is that occasionally when someone in the outside world replies
to mail from someone on our network, the reply is delivered to more than one
person here.

What's the GUESSWHO mean?? What's going on? Can this be fixed?
Will the sun rise tomorrow?

--jon (confused@confounded.state.edu)
* Jon Whalen @ Notre Dame University    Internet:j1whalen@handel.helios.nd.edu *
*            @ Tellabs Research Center  Internet:jon@trc.tellabs.com           *

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar28.134344.26054@news.nd.edu> j1whalen@bach.helios.nd.edu (Jon Whalen) writes:
>The problem is that occasionally when someone in the outside world replies
>to mail from someone on our network, the reply is delivered to more than one
>person here.

Eudora and the "Received" headers have very little to do with that; your mail
transport system has a lot to do with it.  Can't help you.

>What's the GUESSWHO mean?? What's going on? Can this be fixed?

It means that I had numerous complaints when I used to do inverse address
lookups to find proper hostnames to put in SMTP HELO commands.  There
seemed to be particular problems when a primary dns was down.  Macs crashed.
The sun failed to rise.

So I punted the issue, figuring a new release of MacTCP and its associated
dnr would come out soon enough.  (Boy, was I wrong about THAT.)

After waiting and waiting and waiting for fixes I have decided that the
only way to retain my sanity is to consider all bugs in Apple software to be
permanent, since they all seem to be 'fixed in 7.0', and even if 7.0
ever comes lots of people won't be able to run it.  Soooo....

Future versions of Eudora will use domain literals in SMTP HELO commands.
Better than GUESSWHO, not as good as hostnames.  If and when a new version
of MacTCP comes out for 6.x systems, I'll revisit the issue.

It won't help a screwed up transport system, though.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner