[comp.sys.mac.comm] Zterm 0.85

anderson@fpg.waterloo.edu (Glen Anderson) (03/21/91)

Is 0.85 the latest version?

I have a problem when calling into a Unix system in that every so often
the first character on a line appears on the previous line on the right
hand side.

It is very common with the ls command.

The baud rate is 2400

Dave.Alverson@samba.acs.unc.edu (Dave Alverson) (03/24/91)

ZTerm v0.85 is the latest release.  I am working on v0.9, which I would
like to get out before System 7, but no promises.

> I have a problem when calling into a Unix system in that every so often
> the first character on a line appears on the previous line on the right
> hand side.

There is a problem that the default tabs are not set at startup.  You
can set them by turning on Show Controls, then turning it back off.  If
you receive a tab and none are set, it moves the cursor to column 80.

  -- Dave Alverson
  Dave.Alverson@samba.acs.unc.edu

	Extended Bulletin Board Service, Research & Development
Office of Information Technology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
	      internet: bbs.acs.unc.edu or 128.109.157.30

ralpho@cs.fau.edu (Ralph P Carpenter) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar21.014334.18879@watserv1.waterloo.edu> anderson@fpg.waterloo.edu (Glen Anderson) writes:
>Is 0.85 the latest version?

	As of last week, yes.  The author's been RSN'ing for over a year.

>I have a problem when calling into a Unix system in that every so often
>the first character on a line appears on the previous line on the right
>hand side.

	Actually, the first character appears at the end of its line,
with the rest of the characters wrapping to the next line.  The
author is aware of this, also for over a year.

	A work-around: dial in TWICE -- that is, dial up your system,
log in completely, then pull down the Dial menu and select your system
again, then click the Cancel button.  You'll get an "ATDT 5551234:
unknown command" message from your system's shell, but the formatting
problem will be fixed for that session.

	It's a nice program -- it's my choice for dealing with our
mainframes and with GEnie.

--
|  Ralph P Carpenter      | InterNet: Ralpho@acc.fau.edu     | Blake's 7:  |
|  Sr Programmer/Analyst  | Bitnet: Ralpho@FauVax            |   The       |

ngo@tammy.harvard.edu (Tom Ngo) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar21.014334.18879@watserv1.waterloo.edu> anderson@fpg.waterloo.edu (Glen Anderson) writes:

glen>   I have a problem when calling into a Unix system in that every so often
glen>   the first character on a line appears on the previous line on the right
glen>   hand side.
glen>
glen>   It is very common with the ls command.
glen>
glen>   The baud rate is 2400

The problem is that zterm does not have hard tabs, which your Unix
system expects the terminal to have (usually at every 8 columns).
Many programs, notably ls, try to save characters by transmitting one
tab instead of many spaces whenever appropriate.

So every time your shell tabs, zterm sends the cursor to the last
column.  To tell your shell that your terminal has no tabs:

    stty -tabs
--
  Tom Ngo
  ngo@harvard.harvard.edu

billr@misg.csd.harris.com (Bill Rominger) (03/27/91)

This is Zterm
This is your LC with a 12" RGB
only 70 columns
Any questions.....

--
This product is intended for use as an intellectual exercise. Any deliberate
concentration and ingestion of its contents may cause blindness or insanity!

Dave.Alverson@samba.acs.unc.edu (Dave Alverson) (03/29/91)

In <2797@travis.csd.harris.com>, billr@misg.csd.harris.com (Bill Rominger)
writes:

> This is Zterm
> This is your LC with a 12" RGB
> only 70 columns
> Any questions.....

Yes.  Did you try using the 9 point font (in Global settings)?

  -- Dave