[comp.sys.mac.comm] FTP into a mac

cmclark@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Charles Clark) (03/27/91)

In article <AKU.91Mar25224735@vipunen.hut.fi> aku@vipunen.hut.fi (Jaakko Siuko) writes:
>You can switch volumes without knowing the names in NCSA Telnet!  Just
>"cd /" in your the Mac you are connected by ftp, and you will be at
>the "desktop" or root of your Mac.  Doing a "dir" at this level will
>show you the names of different volumes.
>
>--
>Jaakko Siuko	Helsinki University of Technology	Jaakko_Siuko@hut.fi

No, this does not work.  "cd /" will be valid, ie it will return a
"Chdir okay" message.  But it won't necessarily change.  a "dir" or "ls"
afterwards will just list the files on the root of whatever volume you
are already on.  Unless it didn't change, where it will list the files
of the default transfer directory.

I just tried this stuff, ftp'ing to a NCSA Telnet 2.3.  Couldn't make
it Chdir to a different volume except by exact name, and couldn't make
it show me a name (other than the default volume name).

cmc

JSIMPSON@MIAMIU.BITNET (Joe Simpson) (03/30/91)

Stanford University's SUIP code allows you to "navigate on the Mac using
standard Mac interface tools as does the elegant HyperFTP stack(now at
version 1.3 from sumex.standford.edu.