[comp.sys.mac.comm] how to link Macs into a PC-network

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (03/25/91)

	Given an existing network of IBM-PCs linked with a Novell
	network, and given that someone want's to buy some (low-end)
	Macintoshes and link them up into this existing network, what
	are the options, alternatives, best way to go about this?

	Given that you don't care to learn too many of the details
	yourself but want to help find the answers anyway, where has
	this topic been written up?
	(articles in trade rags, sales brouchures, what have you.....)

	Any hints and pointers appreciated.
--

 (Internet)     werner@cs.utexas.edu
  (BITnet)      werner@UTXVM

dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us (Dan Hartung) (03/28/91)

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) writes:

>	Given an existing network of IBM-PCs linked with a Novell
>	network, and given that someone want's to buy some (low-end)
>	Macintoshes and link them up into this existing network, what
>	are the options, alternatives, best way to go about this?

Novell has a special version of its software called Netware for Macintosh.
It allows a Mac to plug right into an EtherNet system (uh, I think you DO
need to have card slots for the net cards) and act just like a PC terminal
would.  However it could not of course run, say, WordPerfect from the
network.

If you have a dBase III+ database running, convert to FoxPro/LAN and install
FoxBase+/Mac on the Apples and you can share the database.

>	Given that you don't care to learn too many of the details
>	yourself but want to help find the answers anyway, where has
>	this topic been written up?
>	(articles in trade rags, sales brouchures, what have you.....)
>
>	Any hints and pointers appreciated.
>--
>
> (Internet)     werner@cs.utexas.edu
>  (BITnet)      werner@UTXVM
>   (UUCP)    ..!uunet!cs.utexas.edu!werner

--
Daniel A. Hartung           |   WOMEN IN JAIL SEEK BOYFRIENDS AND HUSBANDS
dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us   |   They're young and attractive.  They're sorry

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (03/30/91)

dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us (Dan Hartung) writes about Werner's request
for Novell<->Mac connectivity:

>Novell has a special version of its software called Netware for
>Macintosh. It allows a Mac to plug right into an EtherNet system (uh,
>I think you DO need to have card slots for the net cards) and act
>just like a PC terminal would.  However it could not of course run,
>say, WordPerfect from the network.

Well, not quite.

If you have an existing NetWare 2.15c (or later) server, you can get a
VAP called NetWare for Macintosh 2.2 (I _think_ this is the latest
version, I may be wrong; it's definitely > 2.0 though). NetWare for
Mac will provide you with AFP access to the NetWare server and also
provided PAP-based print spooling services.

Macintosh clients need only the standard AppleShare client software to
connect to to such a server. NetWare for Mac supports LocalTalk and
EtherTalk (and probably TokenTalk, but I haven't tried it).

Novell has announced NetWare for Mac 3.0 with is an NLM for NetWare
3.11 (aka NetWare 386). The following information is heresay, since I
haven't had a 3.11 server to play with yet.

NLMs, unlike VAPs under NW 2.x, which are rather kludgy, are faster
protocol processors, so NW/Mac 3.0 promises to be quicker. In
addition, they say that NetWare 3.x is faster than NW 2.x anyway.

So, the simple answer to Werner's question is, if you have a NW 2.x
server that you're not planning to upgrade to 3.x, get the Mac VAP (if
memory serves me correctly it's bundled these days); if you _are_
going to upgrade the 2.x server, or already have a 3.x server, run NW
3.11 and get NW/Mac 3.0.

Disclaimer: My opinions based on my experiences; no endorsement
implied.
Stephan Somogyi      1/8 of the world's population, 2/3 of the lawyers
MacUser