[comp.sys.mac.comm] Where did my 'RING' go?

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (03/30/91)

Back when I lived in Northern California, I had call waiting, and whenever I
was using my modem to log in to whatever and I happened to receive a phone
call, my terminal program would politely put the word

RING

on the next line of text.  It was a nice way to let me know that someone was
on the other phone line.  Furthermore, the phone actually rang, even though
I was on the other line.  This was also very handy if I didn't happen to be
looking at the computer screen at the time.

Now I live in New York, and I have call waiting, and whenever I am logged in
through my modem to whatever and I receive a phone call, my terminal program
puts about five lines of garbage on the screen to let me know that it's
confused about something (namely an incoming call on call waiting).  It's
just not as fun as 'RING'.  Also, the phone does not ring any more.

Is this hardware?  I am using the same modem (a Racal-Milgo 2400 baud) but a
different computer (was Mac+, is SE/30).  Is is software?  I am using
Versaterm Pro 3.1.1, just as before.  Is is the phone lines?  Is call
waiting somewhat different from place to place?  Is it cabling?  I think I
am using the same cables.

It would be nice to go back to 'RING' and actual phone ringing.  Anyone have
any ideas about this?

Thanks,

Alan

perl@PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) (04/03/91)

In article <13067@ur-cc.UUCP> afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) writes:
>Back when I lived in Northern California, I had call waiting, and whenever I
>was using my modem to log in to whatever and I happened to receive a phone
>call, my terminal program would politely put the word
>
>RING
>
>on the next line of text.  It was a nice way to let me know that someone was
>on the other phone line.  Furthermore, the phone actually rang, even though
>I was on the other line.
>... ...
>Is call waiting somewhat different from place to place? ...

A.  I can't understand how your phone could have rung on a 2nd
    call w/ call waiting.  Ringing voltage (90v 20~ AC) is not
    applied to the line for the second call.?????

    You say you "were on the other line.", there is no other line
    in call waiting.  The central office switches you between 2
    different trunks in the CO, but there is still only 1 line to
    your house.  If you had 2 lines and key equipment then that
    could explain the situation.

B.  Call waiting works differently on different switch
    technologies.  That may explain part of your observed
    behavior.

--
Always remember that you are here having already understood the necessity of
contending only with yourself. Thank everyone who affords you the opportunity.