[comp.sys.mac.comm] System 7.0b4 and MacTCP

mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Barrow) (03/30/91)

Hi there! I know that it has been discussed before, but where do I have
to put MacTCP under System 7.0 in order for it to work? I've heard that
the current version doesn't work right if you put it where it would go
under 7.0. Please responsd by email!

Thanks,
Mike

| Michael L Barrow    | "If any of the above offended you, it was     |
| <mlbarrow@mit.edu>  |  my idea to do it -- not MIT's"               |
|     Consultant      | MIT Computing Support Services (CSS)          |
|     Member          | Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)   |
|     Student         | Computer Engineering Major, '93               |

ck31+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Bruce Kidwell) (04/01/91)

>Hi there! I know that it has been discussed before, but where do I have
>to put MacTCP under System 7.0 in order for it to work? I've heard that
>the current version doesn't work right if you put it where it would go
>under 7.0. Please responsd by email!

You need to have TCP in the top level of the System folder and also
in Extensions.  They both have to be originals -- aliases don't work.
It's OK to put an alias in Control Panels if you have the urge, though.

Chris Kidwell
ck31+@andrew.cmu.edu

carlc@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bobby Clark) (04/01/91)

In article <kbxe3q_00awNI2Mkh5@andrew.cmu.edu> ck31+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Christopher Bruce Kidwell) writes:
>>Hi there! I know that it has been discussed before, but where do I have
>>to put MacTCP under System 7.0 in order for it to work? I've heard that
>>the current version doesn't work right if you put it where it would go
>>under 7.0. Please responsd by email!
>
>You need to have TCP in the top level of the System folder and also
>in Extensions.  They both have to be originals -- aliases don't work.
>It's OK to put an alias in Control Panels if you have the urge, though.
>
>Chris Kidwell
>ck31+@andrew.cmu.edu

Is that for version 1.0.1? I am using MacTCP 1.0.2 and no files are left at the
system folder level.

ck31+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Bruce Kidwell) (04/02/91)

Sorry, I was using version 1.0.1.  I didn't know there was a new one.

Chris Kidwell
ck31+@andrew.cmu.edu

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (04/03/91)

In article <obxpcKm00Vp5ACXUVk@andrew.cmu.edu>, ck31+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Bruce Kidwell) writes:
> Sorry, I was using version 1.0.1.  I didn't know there was a new one.

This one comes up every week or two, a candidate for  most common question  :-)

Apple has stated both 1.0.1  and 1.0.2 are essentially the same, 1.0.2 has
some fixes (performance) that ONLY apply to MacX.

--
David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA