[comp.sys.mac.comm] Serial port to MacTCP redirector

tony@uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) (03/22/91)

I am looking for some kind of utility that will redirect input and output
from a Mac's serial port to MacTCP using a specific TCP/IP host.  What I want
to do is fool a program that knows only how to talk to the serial port, use
MacTCP instead and talk to a specific IP host.  The program does some very
special terminal emulation which we need but we don't have a serial connection
to the mainframe that it works with.

I think I've seen this feature with some commercial AppleTalk networking
packages but I'm looking for one that's public domain (or free).  And I don't
need an entire network/comm package, just the redirector.

Thanks for any pointers!

Antonio Querubin
tony@uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han) (03/25/91)

In article <12087@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> tony@uhcmtg.phys.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) writes:
>I am looking for some kind of utility that will redirect input and output
>from a Mac's serial port to MacTCP using a specific TCP/IP host.  What I want
>to do is fool a program that knows only how to talk to the serial port, use
>MacTCP instead and talk to a specific IP host.  The program does some very
>special terminal emulation which we need but we don't have a serial connection
>to the mainframe that it works with.

Why not use the Connection Manager which uses the same connection model
independent of the underlying transport protocol, be it serial/modem
connections or TCP/IP protocols or other datastream protocols (ADSP, LAT,
DECnet, SNA, etc)

--
Byron Han, CommToolbox Emir       Changing the world, one connection at a time

drinkard@figur8.enet.dec.com (Rich Drinkard) (04/04/91)

InterCon Systems Corporation has a Telnet Driver that looks and acts just like a
serial driver. Only it used telnet over MacTCP.  It works great and is easy to
incorporate.

I used it to add telnet capability to a DG emulator about a year ago.