[comp.sys.mac.comm] DataClub?

cliu@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (chang hsu liu) (03/26/91)

Can anyone give me a brief description on the quality of
DataClub and how it is used? Comparison between TOPS,
Timbuktu, and DataClub would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Peter Liu

cliu@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (chang hsu liu) (03/26/91)

Can anyone give me a brief description on the use of
DataClub and how it works? Comparison between TOPS,
Timbuktu, and DataClub would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Peter Liu

pte900@jatz.aarnet.edu.au (Peter Elford) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.044413.5758@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, cliu@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (chang hsu liu) writes:
|> Can anyone give me a brief description on the use of
|> DataClub and how it works? Comparison between TOPS,
|> Timbuktu, and DataClub would be much appreciated.

The February 1991 issue of LAN Magazine has a review of DataClub.

Peter Elford,                           	e-mail: P.Elford@aarnet.edu.au
Network Co-ordinator,	 			phone: +61 6 249 3542
Australian Academic Research Network,		fax:   +61 6 247 3425
c/o, Computer Services Centre,			pager: +61 6 245 3035
Australian National University			post:	PO Box 4
Canberra, AUSTRALIA					Canberra 2601

mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Mar26.044413.5758@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> cliu@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (chang hsu liu) writes:
>Can anyone give me a brief description on the use of
>DataClub and how it works? Comparison between TOPS,
>Timbuktu, and DataClub would be much appreciated.
>Peter Liu
   I tested DataClub for a brief period and found it kinda slow and a little
unreliable.  I tried to use standard AppleShare chooser to access DataClub
(like the advertisement says it can do) with no luck.  When I installed
DataClub's init, it worked fine!  I was under the impression that everyone
else who is an AppleShare client would be able to access the DataClub Server,
just not be a part of the Virtual server.
   Also, I'm not sure how smooth the Virual Server part of DataClub is.  When
moving folders on the DatClub Server from one place to another (which was
actually on another person's HD), it took forever to transfer the files.
AppleTalk is definately too slow for this kind of movement.
   In my next tests, I will check the performance of DataClub as a simple
server (not a virtual server).  If it works well, I may decide to use it
instead of AppleShare (since AppleShare can only have one other concurrent
App running at a time).

My two cents worth...

--
+-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Real Life: Mark F. Murphy         | What kinda beer do you like?           |

legler@masig2.masig1.ocean.fsu.edu (David M. Legler) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.185530.26980@dhw68k.cts.com> mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) writes:

[...]

I tried DataClub too and found it to be a viable *alternative* to
Appleshare.  The user is required to install DataClub on each machine, but
one does not have to participate in the virtual server.  Or in other words,
your Mac does need to know how to find the Appleshare files, but you do
not have to put up part of your storage space if your don't want.  I found
DataClub to be slightly slower than Appleshare but remember
performance is dependent on network traffic volume, and in the case of
DataClub, also on the load of the Macs where the files you want are located.

I found DataClub interesting, but the memory requirements (I recall
needing 200-300K extra for it) and the fact that we already have
Appleshare made me decide against it. I would recommend it only for those
who do not already have Appleshare and have lots of extra memory available.

Mr. David M. Legler           ||(904)644-1159 or 644-4581
Mesoscale Air-Sea Interaction ||Bitnet legler%masig1.ocean.fsu.edu@cunyvm
          Group               ||SPAN   7480::"legler@masig1.ocean.fsu.edu"
MS B-174   Love-012           ||Arpa   legler@masig1.ocean.fsu.edu(128.186.3.1)
Florida State University      ||
Tallahassee, FL  32306-3041   || "An Apple II a day, keeps the PC blues away"

rolfe@w3vh.UUCP (Rolfe Tessem) (04/05/91)

legler@masig2.masig1.ocean.fsu.edu (David M. Legler) writes:

>I tried DataClub too and found it to be a viable *alternative* to
>Appleshare.  The user is required to install DataClub on each machine, but
>one does not have to participate in the virtual server.  Or in other words,
>your Mac does need to know how to find the Appleshare files, but you do
>not have to put up part of your storage space if your don't want.

I was under the impression that the three-user version of DataClub could
service any (reasonable) number of Appleshare clients.  That is, the
three-user limit applied to the number of machines you wanted to have
*serving* files.  Is that assumption incorrect?
--
Rolfe Tessem        | Lucky Duck Productions
rolfe@w3vh.UUCP	    | 17 Saint Luke's Place