[comp.sys.mac.comm] <None>

manoj@ca.excelan.com (manoj @ Messaging Product Marketing) (03/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1991 00:44:57 GMT
Subject:SEEKING Macintosh mail user interface developers..on MHS

MHS has become the defacto standard in the LAN based messaging.
However.. there are more DOS and Windows and OS/2 front ends than Macintosh
that run native on MHS mail engine..

The messaging group at Novell would like to seek any potential developers or
any existing developers that have the capabilities and are interested in
doing a front end mail application native to MHS engine..

The potential could be huge. Just multiply the NetWare LAN;s by average
MAC users on a Novell LAN, plus the  fact that the messaging
group can jumpstart you by sending API and listing your products in
our collaterals etc.

Regards!

   O        manoj goel
  o o       Novell Inc., Product Marketing,
 o o o      2222 Trade Zone Blvd, San Jose, CA 95131, USA
o o o o     Internet: manoj@novell.com   Voice:408.473.8369   Fax:408.433.0775

Regards!

   O        manoj goel
  o o       Novell Inc., Product Marketing,
 o o o      2222 Trade Zone Blvd, San Jose, CA 95131, USA
o o o o     Internet: manoj@novell.com   Voice:408.473.8369   Fax:408.433.0775

cegrw@cc.newcastle.edu.au (03/27/91)

I have aproblem with MacTCP/NCSA Telnet combination which we have been
unable to figure out (neither can NCSA help). I can  connect to plenty
of machines within Aust. but none overseas (i.e. US) The problem seems to be
with the response time. Machines overseas typically take about 6-10 secs
to respond by which time MACtcp has timed out (we checked this by pinging
sites from the campus mainframe). In the CONFIG.TEL file the comments
indicate that the timeout parameter is ignored for the MacTCP version of
NCSA Telnet and that does seem to be the case. SO ... does MacTCP have the
timeout period hard coded into it ... and if so were Apple stupid enough
to set it at 5 secs?

Dr Garry Willgoose
Dept of Civil Eng.
University of Newcastle
AUSTRALIA

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Mar27.174714.9902@cc.newcastle.edu.au> cegrw@cc.newcastle.edu.au writes:
>I have aproblem with MacTCP/NCSA Telnet combination which we have been
>unable to figure out (neither can NCSA help). I can  connect to plenty
>of machines within Aust. but none overseas (i.e. US) The problem seems to be
>with the response time. Machines overseas typically take about 6-10 secs
>to respond by which time MACtcp has timed out (we checked this by pinging
>sites from the campus mainframe). In the CONFIG.TEL file the comments
>indicate that the timeout parameter is ignored for the MacTCP version of
>NCSA Telnet and that does seem to be the case. SO ... does MacTCP have the
>timeout period hard coded into it ...

Garry (et al);  Yes, timeouts are configurable within TCP. In fact, you
must either set the specific time delay, or accept Apple's defaults.
Obviously, Telnet chose the default. I believe the source to Telnet is
available. It should be relatively easy to add the ability to set this
parameter (as is done in the internal driver version). A copy of the MacTCP
development notes (from APDA - but expensive [$100]), would be required...

> and if so were Apple stupid enough to set it at 5 secs?
No, the NCSA folks were stupid enough to accept the defaults :-). You
were unfortunate to get caught by them. By the way, they are also too short
if you try to pump ip packets across a packet radio channel... (Now you
know why I know about the timeout parameters :-).

- Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib