[comp.sys.mac.comm] telnet troubles

so273208@seas.gwu.edu (Jens Johansen) (04/05/91)

We use telnet quite a lot at work (version 2.3) but for some wierd reason
controls X and S do not work properly.  Control X induces a beep, and
control S freezes up the connection to the host all together.

Until now, it has not been a problem, but some of us would now like to be
able to use emacs, and we can't do that without either controls X or S.

Does anyone know a cure?

Thanks in advance,

Jens Johansen

claytor@upenn5.hep.upenn.edu (Nelson Claytor) (04/06/91)

Jens Johansen writes:
> We use telnet quite a lot at work (version 2.3) but for some wierd reason
> controls X and S do not work properly.  Control X induces a beep, and
> control S freezes up the connection to the host all together.
>
> Until now, it has not been a problem, but some of us would now like to be
> able to use emacs, and we can't do that without either controls X or S.
>
> Does anyone know a cure?

Actually, they are working properly. These are the default chars for
Telnet's equivalent of flow control. You can change them in NCSA Telnet in
the Session menu, Setup Keys. You can also set them in the config.tel
file, but I don't remember the syntax for setting them; localkeys=off work
to disable them entirely.

Nelson

Nelson Claytor
claytor@upenn5.hep.upenn.edu