[comp.sys.mac.comm] EtherTalk problems

kuzminsk@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (David Kuzminski) (04/05/91)

I am currently having a problem that is vaguely similar to others
I have seen posted, but I haven't seen any possible solutions that
apply to this situation so here goes again.

I have a Mac IIci with an Apple EtherTalk NB board, running system
6.0.5 and EtherTalk 1.1.  We have several Macs attached directly to
the Ethernet, as well as three LaserWriters via EtherPrint boxes.
These are all on a zone named "CS EtherTalk".  We also have three
other zones (MacLAN 1, 2 and 3) that are defined by three Kinetics
FastPaths running K-STAR version 8.0.  The EtherTalk Mac was as happy
as it could be accessing devices on all the zones until this morning
when I temporarily removed the battery from the CPU card.  Once I
put the system back together, I lost the ability to access devices
on the other side of the Kinetics boxes.  I can still see the zones
in the chooser, but none of the devices on them show up.  Everything
attached diretly to the EtherTalk is still accessible.

We are also running TOPS on our systems.  A similar problem exists
trying to access the devices on the LocalTalk zones from my Mac.

This problem is occurring on one other system on the network, but all
the rest of the Ethernet-attached Macs are doing just fine.

Does anyone have any idea where to look for solutions to this problem?
I feel it must be related to some settings in the Parameter Ram as it
started immediately after removing the battery backup to it.

            Ethernet Mac     Ethernet Mac    EtherPrint
                  |               |               |
__________________|_______________|_______________|_____
          |            |             |                 CS EtherTalk
          |            |             |
      FastPath     FastPath      FastPath
          |            |             |
       MacLan1      MacLan2       MacLan3

kuzminsk@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (David Kuzminski) (04/06/91)

In article <2908@borg.cs.unc.edu> kuzminsk@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (David Kuzminski) writes:

>I have a Mac IIci with an Apple EtherTalk NB board, running system
>6.0.5 and EtherTalk 1.1.  We have several Macs attached directly to
>the Ethernet, as well as three LaserWriters via EtherPrint boxes.
>These are all on a zone named "CS EtherTalk".  We also have three
>other zones (MacLAN 1, 2 and 3) that are defined by three Kinetics
>FastPaths running K-STAR version 8.0.  The EtherTalk Mac was as happy
>as it could be accessing devices on all the zones until this morning
>when I temporarily removed the battery from the CPU card.  Once I
>put the system back together, I lost the ability to access devices
>on the other side of the Kinetics boxes.  I can still see the zones
>in the chooser, but none of the devices on them show up.  Everything
>attached diretly to the EtherTalk is still accessible.
>
>Does anyone have any idea where to look for solutions to this problem?
>I feel it must be related to some settings in the Parameter Ram as it
>started immediately after removing the battery backup to it.

Gee, it's pretty bad when a guy has to follow up on his own problem
report!  :^).

Seriously, though, I determined what I thought *MIGHT* be causing the
problem, made what I *THOUGHT* was the necessary change, and, voila, no
more problem.  The tough part now is understanding why the problem existed
in the first place and why it's gone now.

Through various Sherlock Holmes type steps, I came to the conclusion that
the problem had something to do with the AppleTalk node address of the
machine being set to 1.  How I reached this conclusion is long and
complicated, and I don't particularly want to embarrass myself by going
through it publically.  Nevertheless, when I changed the node number from
1 to 2, everything went back to working just fine!

Does anyone have a clue as to what might be causing this problem?  I am
not looking forward to going through this everytime someone resets their
PRAM.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe.

David Kuzminski
Computer Science Department