[comp.sys.mac.comm] Mac packing program. Could Mac handle it?

maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) (04/02/91)

Awhile ago, I posted an complete message asking about a packing program for
Macintosh, no one responded.  (Packing is to compress an executable file into
about 50% of it's original size, but remain executable;  This is similar to
StuffIT and Arc, but the final product from packing is executable)

IBM has it.  Amiga has it.  Atari has it;  why even Commodore 64 has these sort
of program.  The advantage is obvious:  It saves alot of disk spaces on your
harddrive.  I'm suprised that Macs doesn't even have this kind of programs.

"No one from Mac worlds ever thought of it?", I ask.

Peace.
   +     AAllll tthhoossee mmoommeennttss wwiillll bbee lloosstt iinn ttiimmee,, lliikkee tteeaarrss iinn tthhee rraaiinn..   +
   +   (**) Maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu    (**) Billy - IInnnneerrTTaannggeenntt - Human1   +

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr1.221555.1836@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) writes:
>Awhile ago, I posted an complete message asking about a packing program for
>Macintosh, no one responded.  (Packing is to compress an executable file into
>about 50% of it's original size, but remain executable;  This is similar to
>StuffIT and Arc, but the final product from packing is executable)

Isn't this the sort of thing that DiskDoubler does? (only with all files,
not just executables)

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

epayne@x102a.harris-atd.com (payne edward 01471) (04/02/91)

	There is a shareware program calle AutoCompress (I believe).  It's
really neat except for one thing:  it's slow.  I'm using an SE/30.  I'd
imagine that a Plus would be excrutiatingly slow.  I don't want to give it
a bad rap it was just to slow for me.  You might be able to find it at
Sumex.  Later!

Ed

Ed Payne                       |     Harris, GASD     | If I only had more than
epayne@x102a.ess.harris.com    |     Melbourne, Fl    | 3 lines....

Aron_Fingers_Nelson@cup.portal.com (04/03/91)

Why don't you post some examples of the IBM/ATARI world pack program
that compresses files %50 smaller yet still allow them to be run as executable
I have an IBM clone and I still have no idea of what you're talking about.
If you're talking about ZIP->EXE kind of files that auto-unpak themselves
then the Macintosh does have it in the form of Compactor and Auto-Unstuffit.
If you are talking about something that will actually squish an Executable
to %50 of it's size while still remaining functional w/o any TSR's or
anything else, I have never heard or seen it.

aron_nelson@cup.portal.com

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (04/04/91)

Yes, as a matter of fact I think we originated the idea. AutoUnstuffit
Shell came packed with one of the early versions of Stuffit. The first time
I saw it was in 1988, I believe. It is a Stuffit archive that has a small
application in the recourse fork (the stuffed files are in the data fork)
which, when double clicked, unstuffs all the files. Many software
distributors use it to compress files onto fewer distribution disks. Steve
Jasik, author of "The Debugger" uses another auto decopressor to ship his
stuff too. I forget the name of that one, but I think it works with
compactor files.
--
Andrew C. Esh			andrew@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.

231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) (04/05/91)

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) writes:

>Yes, as a matter of fact I think we originated the idea. AutoUnstuffit
>Shell came packed with one of the early versions of Stuffit. The first time
>I saw it was in 1988, I believe. It is a Stuffit archive that has a small
>application in the recourse fork (the stuffed files are in the data fork)
>which, when double clicked, unstuffs all the files. Many software
>distributors use it to compress files onto fewer distribution disks. Steve
>Jasik, author of "The Debugger" uses another auto decopressor to ship his
>stuff too. I forget the name of that one, but I think it works with
>compactor files.

I don't remember the original post, but I think the poster wanted to know if
there was a program that would keep itself compressed, and when run it would
decompress itself to memory.  There is a program for the Amiga called Power
Packer that does this.  My friend keeps his little-used unZoo program Power
Packed.  Then when he runs unZoo, it transparently decompresses itself, and
runs.  When he quits, it is back to it's compressed state.  I guess Disk
Doubler kind of does this, but I doubt you could use a program compressed with
DD on another machine without the DD INIT.

I've written a little doohickey that compresses resoruces (look for it in
about a month on Sumex, it'll be free, PD, and with source code), and I was
wondering if it were possible to do some sort of power packing on the mac. I
imagine it would have one normal CODE resource which would decompress the rest.
The big problem I see with something like this, is if the user would want to
go in and customize something with ResEdit, and everything would be compressed.
I don't have System 7 yet, which is supposed to have compressed resources,
which will probably obselete my little program and Ben Haller's LZWRez anyway.
Perhaps the "important" programmers who get the 7.0 betas could fill us in on
how this is done (is everything compressed, or just things like PICTs?  how
efficient is it?).

_mike gleason

>--
>Andrew C. Esh			andrew@osa.com
>Open Systems Architects, Inc.
>Minneapolis, MN 55416-1528	So much System,
>(612) 525-0000			so little CPU time...

boortz@sics.se (Kent Boortz) (04/06/91)

Yes, self extracting archives is not the same as compressed executable
files. I have tried lzexe on MSDOS. I run lzexe on a file foo.exe to
compress it and add unpacking code to it.

The new application, foo.exe, will to the user work like the old one, with
a very small delay at startup. Programs that patch this code will not work
of cause (many msdos programs do like this because there is nothing like
resources in an msdos executable file).

This is close to the self extracting archives that is created by Compactor
but with some differences:

	- Lzexe compresses only one executable file
	- The file is executed after unpacking
	- The compacted file will not look the same, another Icon, info etc.

The main reason this is not done by any of the mac compression program authors
I think is that all decompression programs that I know of are slow (or is it
msdos programs that are small, I don't know). The delay starting a compressed
version of PageMaker or Word will not be acceptable. Am I wrong?

Is not packed resources part of sys 7? Then the problem is solved is it not?
If Apple gives us an small application that change the resource attributes
and compresses/decompresses resources in an application then the resource
manager do the rest for us under runtime.

I will be a little strange discussing how fast an application run after that.
"My application XX is not that slow, what resources did you pack?" ;-)

--
Kent Boortz
boortz@sics.se