[comp.sys.mac.comm] How to improve CommToolbox...

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han) (03/28/91)

At the risk of opening a gigantic Pandora's box...

If you were Emir, how would you change/improve/add on to the
Communications Toolbox?  How can the tools be improved?
What development/debugging aids are needed?  What new functionality
should Apple add to the managers?  Should we add new managers?

We are in the preliminary design stages for future versions
of the Communications Toolbox and your input would be
greatly appreciated.

BTW There is a discussion board on AppleLink as well as a thread
on CompuServe.

--
Byron Han, CommToolbox Emir       Changing the world, one connection at a time
Apple Computer, Inc.              --------------------------------------------

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (03/28/91)

The Apple Modem Tool (1.0.1):

It needs to learn about modems with MNP-5 or other forms of
compression.  It currently does exactly the wrong thing with them
(changes serial port baud rate to bps rate of the line).

It should be possible (and documented) for our support people to
teach it about new modem types.

It should behave predictably when cmQuiet is off; it some errors
gives the user alerts, others just returns error codes to the calling program.

It should be more tolerant of aberrant modem behavior; it's typical for
a strangely configured modem to bring the mac to a halt.

The Connection Manager:

MacTCP's SendWDS would be a handy addition.

It would be nice if Connection Manager synchronous calls gave time
to other processes, at least optionally.

Some form of connection sharing would be nice.  I'd like both a
locking mechanism ("It's mine now, hands off!"  or "Ok, your turn."),
as well as a 'tee' facility, where two different apps could have
a crack at the same data stream (handy for debugging...).

It would be nice if the app were notified when the user changed connection
tools in CMChoose (why?  because I'd like to restore the settings the
user was using the last time it used a particular connection tool).  Maybe
I could do this now with idleProc, but I'm unclear on how to do it
without causing compatibility problems down the road.

Finally, it would be nice if there was some sort of user-level scripting
facility built in somewhere; probably into the Connection Manager.  The
script would be 'run' before the connection was handed to my application,
and possibly another at closing time.  It wouldn't have to be really fancy.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

ph@ssd.kodak.com (Pete Hoch) (03/28/91)

In article <50881@apple.Apple.COM> han@Apple.COM (Byron Han) writes:
> At the risk of opening a gigantic Pandora's box...
>
> If you were Emir, how would you change/improve/add on to the
> Communications Toolbox?

At the risk of sounding repetative, how about expanding the CTB
to handle more drop in filters.  For example, compression filters,
data format filters, (Imagine *any* application could save in TIFF),
General data transform filters, etc...

Pete

--
Pete Hoch                         | ..somewhere..!kodak!ssd!bashow!ph   ..or..
Color Systems ISPD. 3/65/RL       | ph@ekcolorlink.ssd.kodak.com        ..or..

3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET (Sari Khoury) (03/29/91)

I'd really like to see what I believe is called a SLIP version of MacTCP Tool f
or CTB. this version would let you use MacTCP over a regular phone line.  It
seems that apple has been talkingabout this for a long time, but I've yet to
see it.
                        /:  /:    /~:   ^^^^^^
Sari Khoury            //:://::  //-::  ^^
3XMQGAA@CMUVM.bitnet  //  :/  :://   :: ^^
"All opinions expressed are mine        ^^^^^^
 unless I stole them."

philipc@runx.oz.au (Philip Craig) (04/08/91)

In article <50881@apple.Apple.COM> han@Apple.COM (Byron Han) writes:
>If you were Emir, how would you change/improve/add on to the
>Communications Toolbox?  How can the tools be improved?

I'd have connection tools that can be connected one after the other.
Thus, I could have an X.25 connection running over a modem reachable over
the Appletalk network, say.
--
| Philip Craig          | ACSnet,Ean,CSnet: philipc@runxtsa.runx.oz.au         |
| RUNX Unix Timeshare   | Arpa:  philipc%runxtsa.runx.oz.au@UUNET.UU.NET       |