[comp.sys.mac.comm] BBSs

Mike.Taylor@p1.f3.n3613.z1.Fidonet.Org (Mike Taylor) (03/24/91)

Thus quoth the Raven ...

CS> The reason that Herpes is 'widely' accepted is that a complete
CS> moron (and most are...) can run it
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's been bad enough reading your endless tirades, but now you are attacking people who you know absolutely nothing about.  Shut up or get out.

               Mike

 * Origin: Nevermore, Nevermore, Never...               (1:3613/3.1)

Lloyd.Woodall@f91.n343.z1.Fidonet.Org (Lloyd Woodall) (03/26/91)

Andrew Loweredstern writes concerning NeverLinkPro:

The system DOES NOT crash.  If you judge a product on a 2 year old version,
go ahead and sound like a complete idiot.  The Zmodem transfer speed is the
fastest available.  Of course, you wouldn't know anyway.

......Well that seems to be an ununusal statment.  The very LAST NLP BBS in my
area threw in the towel just two months ago.  He was running all the latest,
and he had been a NLP Sysop for about 2 years, and a BBS Sysop for 8 years.
His comment was "He was just tired of having a product that crashed".  He
wanted to run it, but just gave up.  That makes the score for the area BBS:
Hermes = 34
NLP    =  0

My e-mail today contained a validation request from another former NLP Sysop
from Alaska.  He quit NLP and changed to Hermes.  Now 'cmon, the numbers have
to say something...It's like voting, and it is obvious what system most sysops
prefer.

I hope that both NLP and Hermes authors are driven by the competitive spirit
to improve their efforts.  It can only help the Sysops and the users.  I wish
both products much success.  Hermes and NLP seem to me to be from two entirely
different philosophic viewpoints...NLP is very configurable, and thus a Sysop
can customize his BBS.  This can be good, depending on the Sysop, but it makes
the possibility of the user having to "relearn" how to use each NLP BBS.
Hermes, on the other hand, does not allow the customization, but each Hermes
BBS will have the same command structure.  Two different approaches...Both
have advantages and disadvantages.

 * Origin: Pac Mac       206-643-4826       Bellevue, WA  (1:343/91)

Lloyd.Woodall@f91.n343.z1.Fidonet.Org (Lloyd Woodall) (03/27/91)

Bob Nordling writes:

>The same goes for large Mac BBSs here in the US, they all (as far as
>I know) run on PCs, either TBBS, RBBS, Remote Access....I know of no
>Mac BBS (that has 4 or more lines) that is using a Mac.  Oh there
>are a couple exceptions, i.e. Washington Apple Pi's 6+ lines BBS running on
>networked Apple II's...must be a political decision rather than the sysop's
>decision) and there once was a 6 line Mac board running on 6 networked Mac IIs

Well, I am running a 7 node Hermes system on my Mac.  I support both Telebit
and HST/DS modems.  We pioneered the use of the Creative Solutions multiport
Nubus card and it is easy to add additional nodes now, as both the CSI card
and Hermes support the Mac Comm Toolbox.  And the CSI card is not that
expensive either.

 * Origin: Pac Mac       206-643-4826       Bellevue, WA  (1:343/91)

Craig.Smith@f2112.n106.z1.Fidonet.Org (Craig Smith) (03/27/91)

>I'm sure it would work. The first point systems that people ran on their
>Mac
>were BT's under SoftPC. But why bother. Pick up a 386sx for a grand or so,
> and
>run the real thing.

I've tried the SoftPC idea, and because I'm using some strange flow-control,
for some reason Binley thinks that CD is present whenever it starts up.  Don't
know, but I'm just going to attempt to port the mailer over to the Mac (or
better yet, get someone that's into C to do it) and see if that will work.

Craig

 * Origin: Are you the same person that was here before? (1:106/2112)

John.Carse@f2112.n106.z1.Fidonet.Org (John Carse) (03/28/91)

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

It's the alphabet, use it!  It's NovaLink, not NovaStink.. sheesh..

John

 * Origin: Are you the same person that was here before? (1:106/2112)

mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) (04/09/91)

In article <670179621.1@blkcat.Fidonet.Org> Lloyd.Woodall@f91.n343.z1.Fidonet.Org (Lloyd Woodall) writes:
>......Well that seems to be an ununusal statment.  The very LAST NLP BBS in my
>area threw in the towel just two months ago.  He was running all the latest,
>and he had been a NLP Sysop for about 2 years, and a BBS Sysop for 8 years.
>His comment was "He was just tired of having a product that crashed".  He
>wanted to run it, but just gave up.  That makes the score for the area BBS:
>Hermes = 34
>NLP    =  0
>
>My e-mail today contained a validation request from another former NLP Sysop
>from Alaska.  He quit NLP and changed to Hermes.  Now 'cmon, the numbers have
>to say something...It's like voting, and it is obvious what system most sysops
>prefer.

    Count me in as another Sysop who stopped using NovaLink and switched to
Hermes.  I resisted for quite some time, but when someone says NeverLinkPro,
they are right.  It has taken the NovaLink guys FOREVER to do anything.
Now there are problems with Hermes... like Frank keeps coming out with new
features without fixing old bugs... or the new features have new bugs, or the
new version introduces new bugs... overall though, it is a good system and
my users seem to be pleased with it.  I just couldn't wait any long for
the NovaLink boys to get ZModem going.

--
| Real Life: Mark F. Murphy         | What kinda beer do you like?           |