[comp.sys.mac.comm] MacLayers

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (05/09/90)

I want to use MacLayers with Gnu Emacs running on a Sun/4.
Has anyone written the Emacs macros so that the MacLayers
mouse clicks can be used to move the point in Emacs?
(like "macmouse.el" works for uw)
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

arichard@manta.NOSC.MIL (Adam W. Richardson) (06/09/90)

I keep hearing about this...what is it and where is it
obtainable (ftp o.k.) ?

Many Thanks,
Adam

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (06/09/90)

In <1112@manta.NOSC.MIL> arichard@manta.nosc.mil.UUCP (Adam) writes:
>I keep hearing about this...what is it and where is it obtainable ?

	MacLayers is a multi-window terminal emulator for the Macintosh
	to be used with some UNIX-mainframes.  it has some very nice
	features, such as downloading in the background.

	you can find the files with FTP on RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU
	in directory mac/communications/MacLayers

dankg@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) (06/11/90)

In article <1307@hedora.cs.utexas.edu> werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) writes:

>	MacLayers is a multi-window terminal emulator for the Macintosh
>	to be used with some UNIX-mainframes.  it has some very nice
>	features, such as downloading in the background.
>
>	you can find the files with FTP on RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU
>	in directory mac/communications/MacLayers

	You can also get a copy from sumex-aim.stanford.edu (The most
famous ftp site for Mac users).  sumex-aim is also a place you should try
very first.  maclayers is at /info-mac/comm.
	To run maclayers, you need to do two things:  Download a copy
of Maclayers frontend to your mac and compile server on unix site.
after both are done, you logon with maclayers.   So far you have one
window.  Then type in "layers" from command shell.  That invokes maclayers
server.  After that you can open other sessions with "layer [commands]".
it's exactly like "xterm -e command" on Xwindows.  So while on modem,
you can use emacs on one window, rn on other, and shell on other, and more.
	Unfortunately, modem connection must be 8-bit.  For some reasons
it doesn't work on 7-bit connections (mine, too <;_;>) on current version.

----------------
____  __  __    + Dan The "7-1-even" Man
____| ______ 	+ Voice:	+1 415-549-6111
|     |__|__|	+ USnail:	1730 Laloma Berkeley, CA 94709 U.S.A
|___  |__|__|	+
    |____|____	+ "What's the biggest U.S. export to Japan?"
  \_|    |      + "Bullshit.  It makes the best fertilizer for their rice"

dhom@spica.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) (06/11/90)

In article <1990Jun10.214651.10220@agate.berkeley.edu> dankg@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) writes:
>In article <1307@hedora.cs.utexas.edu> werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>
>>	MacLayers is a multi-window terminal emulator for the Macintosh
stuff deleted
>	Unfortunately, modem connection must be 8-bit.  For some reasons
>it doesn't work on 7-bit connections (mine, too <;_;>) on current version.
stuff deleted

I hope this hasn't been addressed already...  Does MacLayers support TCP/IP?
I would like to implement something like the MacLayer's front-end
over our FastPaths.  Is there any plan to do so in the future?

Dave
dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu
dhom@data.acs.calpoly.edu

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (06/11/90)

In <2672c7ae.70b5@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> dhom@spica.acs.calpoly.edu.UUCP  writes:

> Does MacLayers support TCP/IP?
> I would like to implement something like the MacLayer's front-end
> over our FastPaths.  Is there any plan to do so in the future?

	not plans, but it is on the list of items to consider; however,
	there is little hope to see anything happening in this area in the
	next couple of months .....

In <1990Jun10.214651.10220@agate.berkeley.edu> dankg@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) writes:
>In article <1307@hedora.cs.utexas.edu> werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>
>>	you can find the files with FTP on RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU
>>	in directory mac/communications/MacLayers
>
> You can also get a copy from sumex-aim.stanford.edu (The most
> a famous ftp site for Mac users).  sumex-aim is also a place you should try
> very first.  maclayers is at /info-mac/comm.

	yes, in general it is a good idea to check at SUMEX for a file.
	in this case, however, RASCAL is de DEFINITIVE site, because that's
	where MacLayers comes from and you can find files here that you
	cannot find at SUMEX:

rascal% l
MacLayers_1.0_SIT_bin           MacLayers_Bulletin_No.1
MacLayers_1.0_SIT_hqx           MacLayers_Bulletin_No.2
MacLayers_1.0_UNIX-files_shar   layers.ultrix-vax_executable
MacLayers_1.0_doc               layers.ultrix-vax_intro
rascal% ll
total 435
 136 -rw-r--r--  1 werner     131047 Jun 11 06:10 MacLayers_1.0_SIT_hqx
  94 -rw-rw-r--  2 werner      96256 Mar 19 04:17 MacLayers_1.0_SIT_bin
 120 -rw-rw-r--  2 werner     112664 Mar 19 04:58 MacLayers_1.0_UNIX-files_shar
  33 -rw-rw-r--  2 werner      32777 Mar 18 09:34 MacLayers_1.0_doc
   3 -rw-rw-r--  1 werner       2895 Apr  8 18:39 MacLayers_Bulletin_No.1
   3 -rw-r--r--  2 werner       2860 May 12 15:27 MacLayers_Bulletin_No.2
  45 -rw-r--r--  2 werner      46080 May  1 16:48 layers.ultrix-vax_executable
   1 -rw-r--r--  2 werner        773 May  1 16:48 layers.ultrix-vax_intro

	Ultrix users, please note, we made a working binary available because
	the sources do not produce a working binary on Ultrix (and we
	don't really know why or how to fix it other than by cheating
	a little)

cantie@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (bruce n cantie) (06/12/90)

In article <766@earth.cs.utexas.edu> werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>In <2672c7ae.70b5@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> dhom@spica.acs.calpoly.edu.UUCP  writes:
>>
>> Does MacLayers support TCP/IP?
>> I would like to implement something like the MacLayer's front-end
>> over our FastPaths.  Is there any plan to do so in the future?
>
>	not plans, but it is on the list of items to consider; however,
>	there is little hope to see anything happening in this area in the
>	next couple of months .....

	I have tryed MacLayers, and like it very much.  The main problem
that I have is connecting to a sun in 8-bit.  All of our Unix systems are
set up on 7-1-E dial in lines.  I can connect to one of our VAX/VMS systems,
with 8-bit, but then when I rlogin to the Unix system to run layers, the
host window locks up.  I can open another window, but it locks as soon as I
run VI.
	Is there a "define" in the source code that will allow me to get it
to send the encoded message back to my Mac using a 7-1-E setup?  I would hack
at the code, but I don't have the hours of time necessary for me to understand
all of that code!

Thanks for *any* ideas you have....
Bruce

Bruce Cantie  (Student Slave) Internet:  cantie@cs.Buffalo.EDU
LAN Systems                   BITNET:    cantie@sunybcs.BITNET
301A Computing Center         BITNET:    LSBRUCE@UBVMS.BITNET

ghe@comphy.PHYSICS.ORST.EDU (Guangliang He) (06/12/90)

In article <2672c7ae.70b5@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> dhom@spica.acs.calpoly.edu.UUCP (David Hom) writes:

| I hope this hasn't been addressed already...  Does MacLayers support TCP/IP?
| I would like to implement something like the MacLayer's front-end
| over our FastPaths.  Is there any plan to do so in the future?
|
| Dave
| dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu
| dhom@data.acs.calpoly.edu

Why do you consider NCSA Telnet for TCP/IP?
                            Guangliang He

                            ghe@PHYSICS.ORST.EDU
                            hegl@ORSTVM.BITNET

cantie@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (bruce n cantie) (06/12/90)

	I posted a question about MacLayers, and got one responce, which
was the one that worked!!  As a mater of fact I have 3 OTHER windows open
right now!

	The solution to the 8 bit problem was to attach to one system (Unix)
and then do an rlogin using an 8 bit option.  This worked out just fine.  Now
vi, emac, and most other things will work with *any* size window I use. (I
have a 14" color Mac II).

	Just incase any one is interested, I compiled it in my account, placed
the executable files in my /bin directory and every thing is working.  Now
to try to convince the systems people that it is worth providing to the
rest of the Mac users here.

Thank........

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/12/90)

In article <28024@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> cantie@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (bruce n cantie) writes:
>	I have tryed MacLayers, and like it very much.  The main problem
>that I have is connecting to a sun in 8-bit.  All of our Unix systems are
>set up on 7-1-E dial in lines.
>
>Thanks for *any* ideas you have....

You could use uw instead.  It doesn't do file transfers, but it's the same
general idea.  I have used it as my mac<->unix terminal emulator of choice
for several years.  It's available on sumex, and works over 7 bit connections.

Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (02/20/91)

where can I get it?  I had It once, but now I cant find it.

Does anyone know if ML has been fixed to work with 7 bit communication?

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (02/20/91)

>where can I get it?  I had It once, but now I cant find it.

	the definitive archive site for MacLayers is RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU
	(at this time) but you can find it elsewhere also

>Does anyone know if ML has been fixed to work with 7 bit communication?

	no, there has not been a new release and none is anticipated
	in the foreseeable future

--
      ----------->   PREFERED RETURN-ADDRESSES FOLLOWS   <--------------
 (Internet)     werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu

bskendig@rise.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (02/21/91)

In article <37927@netnews.upenn.edu> jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) writes:
>where can I get it?  I had It once, but now I cant find it.

anonymous ftp to sumex-aim.stanford.edu, in info-mac/comm.

>Does anyone know if ML has been fixed to work with 7 bit communication?

I don't think there was ever a problem!  I was having trouble getting
it to work over my 7E1 connection until I realized that the problem
was that I was using it on a Vax running Ultrix 2.0, which didn't do
nice things with the flow control or something or other.  I got
MacLayers to work fine in multiple-windows mode over the same line
when I connected to another kind of machine (a Sun).

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."

eoliver@hcunix.haverford.edu (Erik Oliver) (02/26/91)

Exactly what is MacLayers anyhow, and how do I downloaded it.  I tried
getting it from rascal.ics.utexas.edu and it refused to let me get the
file and responded with some obscure message code.

Thanks,
:-) Erik (e_oliver@acc.haverford.edu <-- internet address)

newton@cs.utexas.edu (Peter Newton) (02/26/91)

> Exactly what is MacLayers anyhow, and how do I downloaded it.  I tried
> getting it from rascal.ics.utexas.edu and it refused to let me get the
> file and responded with some obscure message code.

MacLayers is a MultiWindow terminal emulator for BSD UNIX, somewhat
like uw.  It supports up to 7 windows, one of which can be used for
background downloading.  It also has text scrollback, and lots of
other nice things.  It uses the serial ports-- no comm toolbox.  It
lacks uploading and, due to a bug, requires that you use 8 bit
communications.  It's freeware.  The latest version is 1.0.  It is not
clear when a new version will come out.

Anonymous ftp site rascal.ics.utexas.edu (128.83.138.20) is the
primary source.  Anonymous ftp is supposed to work, obviously.  Try
again.  MacLayers is also in the sumex-aim.stanford.edu archives.
 ----
Peter Newton
Computer Sciences, TAY 2.124       (512) 471-9735
University of Texas at Austin      newton@cs.utexas.edu
Austin, TX  78712-1188          ...{uunet|gatech|ames}!cs.utexas.edu!newton

lingerke@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Ken Linger) (03/05/91)

I'm trying to install MacLayers on a Unix (BSD) system.  The download to my
Mac worked fine, but after de-shar-ing the file and then trying "make install",
I get the message:

Undefined:
_setvbuf
*** Error code 1
Make: .  Stop.

It looks like it might be simple to fix, but how?  Any help would be
appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

Ken
---

--

		Ken Linger
    	School of Computer Science	    lingerke@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

anderson@fpg.waterloo.edu (Glen Anderson) (04/09/91)

I am just trying out MacLayers and am having a problem downloading.

I startup xmodem on the Unix side, and then choose Download file on MAC side.
I get some stats messages and then

A Nonrecoverable Program Error Has Occurred with Macintosh Layers

"xmitbuf:bad state"

Anyone have any ideas?

The version is 1.00