[comp.sys.mac.comm] Problems using ZTerm and . . . vi

tmaddox@milton.u.washington.edu (Tom Maddox) (04/08/91)

	I've gone back to Zterm because I really like using zmodem for
downloads.  However . . .

	Its vt100 emulation in vi is just awful.  Is there some set of
parameters in the program or in my .cshrc I can change to make the emulation
work better?

--
				Tom Maddox
			tmaddox@milton.u.washington.edu

dbert@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr8.082505.12520@milton.u.washington.edu> tmaddox@milton.u.washington.edu (Tom Maddox) writes:

>	I've gone back to Zterm because I really like using zmodem for
>downloads.  However . . .
>
>	Its vt100 emulation in vi is just awful.  Is there some set of
>parameters in the program or in my .cshrc I can change to make the emulation
>work better?

I've had this problem as well.  I've also noticed that using the arrow keys
will sometimes put me into input mode so I start adding some garbage lines
when I'm just trying to move around.  This is highly annoying and caused me to
switch to another terminal program.  Any idea if this can be fixed?  Or if the
forthcoming ZTerm 0.90 will fix these problems?

--
Doug Siebert                    |                dbert@gnu.ai.mit.edu
MBA Student (2nd year)          |  "All opinions expressed herein are obviously

dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr8.082505.12520@milton.u.washington.edu> tmaddox@milton.u.washington.edu (Tom Maddox) writes:

>	I've gone back to Zterm because I really like using zmodem for
>downloads.  However . . .
>
>	Its vt100 emulation in vi is just awful.  Is there some set of
>parameters in the program or in my .cshrc I can change to make the emulation
>work better?
>

>--
>				Tom Maddox
>			tmaddox@milton.u.washington.edu
>	"It is imperative to write invulnerable sentences."  --  Hugo Ball

I've never had it have problems with vi before.  but I DO have 2 major
problems with ZTerm.

(1) Our site uses QTerm at login to determine what terminal you use.
Most of the time, it works OK.  However, some time, it identifies my
terminal as a tvi926 or something like that; whn I try to type in 'vt100'
to correct it, the cursor starts freaking out, all this garbage comes on
the screen, and I have to hangup andcall back with White Knight, which works
perfectly.

(2) When you scroll in JOVE, the highlightig o thebottom line gets wiped out
Of course, this is just cosmetic, but I'm a stickler for cosmetic appear-
ances! :)

Which brings me to another point, and a question. White Knight handles
the highlighting beautifully when you scrolll in JOVE, except there is
only one problem.  If your cursor is on the last line of the display (i.e.
right above the highlighting), and you have to backspace, one pixel of the
highlighting gets wiped out, from the position of the cursor to the right
side of the screen.  This gets really ugly after a very short time.  What
am I doing wrong, and is there a fix for it?  (i'm using version 11.12 of
WK)
Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (04/08/91)

dbert@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) writes:

>In article <1991Apr8.082505.12520@milton.u.washington.edu> tmaddox@milton.u.washington.edu (Tom Maddox) writes:
>>
>>	I've gone back to Zterm because I really like using zmodem for
>>downloads.  However . . .
>>
>>	Its vt100 emulation in vi is just awful.

>I've had this problem as well.  I've also noticed that using the arrow keys
>will sometimes put me into input mode so I start adding some garbage lines
>when I'm just trying to move around.  This is highly annoying and caused me to
>switch to another terminal program.  Any idea if this can be fixed?  Or if the
>forthcoming ZTerm 0.90 will fix these problems?

I don't know if this is a problem with your emulators or that fact that
'vi' NEEDS 7 bits, odd parity.  If you don't have this set up properly
the unix machines allow you to logon but vi is really fussy about these
things.

Because you can logon doesn't mean that you have all your setting correct.
I experienced these problems on a Terminal (not a computer) with a hardware
VT100 emulator.  And I too thought I was broken.

I have used White Knight successfully with vi but I don't use Zterm so I
can't say anything about that product.

--
      +--------------------------+---------------------------------------+
     /    Patrick Hoepfner       |    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    \

Douglas.Hill@f438.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Douglas Hill) (04/08/91)

 DS> I've had this problem as well.  I've also noticed that using the arrow
 DS> keys
 DS> will sometimes put me into input mode so I start adding some garbage lines
 DS> when I'm just trying to move around.  This is highly annoying and caused
 DS> me to
 DS> switch to another terminal program.  Any idea if this can be fixed?  Or
 DS> if the
 DS> forthcoming ZTerm 0.90 will fix these problems?

Have you tried using Command-Left_Arrow or Command-Right_Arrow?  I haven't

- Doug

 * Origin: Europa BBS (301) 718-4690 HST/DS (1:109/438)

barry@network.ucsd.edu (Barry Brown) (04/09/91)

In article <hoepfner.671127053@heawk1> hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) writes:
>dbert@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) writes:
>
>>In article <1991Apr8.082505.12520@milton.u.washington.edu> tmaddox@milton.u.washington.edu (Tom Maddox) writes:
>>>	Its [Zterm's] vt100 emulation in vi is just awful.
>
>>I've had this problem as well.  I've also noticed that using the arrow keys
>>will sometimes put me into input mode so I start adding some garbage lines
>>when I'm just trying to move around.  This is highly annoying and caused me to
>>switch to another terminal program.  Any idea if this can be fixed?  Or if the
>>forthcoming ZTerm 0.90 will fix these problems?
>

>I don't know if this is a problem with your emulators or that fact that
>'vi' NEEDS 7 bits, odd parity.  If you don't have this set up properly
>the unix machines allow you to logon but vi is really fussy about these
>things.
>
>Because you can logon doesn't mean that you have all your setting correct.
>I experienced these problems on a Terminal (not a computer) with a hardware
>VT100 emulator.  And I too thought I was broken.

The problem lies not in ZTerm, but in vi and your terminal server.  You
will see it crop up whether you are dialing in or using a hardwired terminal.
An article from the UCSD help system explains it:

 Problem with Arrow Keys in Vi

 If you find that pressing the arrow keys in vi causes garbage to
 appear, and causes vi to switch to text insertion mode, set the editor
 option notimeout:

 	:set notimeout

 The problem occurs with terminals which follow the ANSI standard. The
 arrow keys send an escape sequence, i.e. a set of several characters
 starting with an escape character.  In the default mode (timeout) the
 editor times the interval between the receipt of each character of the
 sequence.  If there are any lags, the editor infers that the characters
 are not the result of pressing an arrow key and interprets them
 individually.  The data transmission characteristics of the LAN
 sometimes introduce time lags within arrow key escape sequences,
 especially for terminals operating at lower speeds, hence the need to
 set notimeout.

 In notimeout mode you must press the escape key twice to ring the
 bell.  Also commands which coincide with the stems of macros will
 not be carried out until a character is typed which does not coincide.

--
Barry E. Brown        --        \  Cal-Animage Beta publicity officer
bebrown@ucsd.{edu,uucp,bitnet}   \   Anime Stuff FTP Server administrator

mfader@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Fader) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.082505.12520@milton.u.washington.edu> tmaddox@milton.u.washington.edu (Tom Maddox) writes:

>	I've gone back to Zterm because I really like using zmodem for
>downloads.  However . . .
>
>	Its vt100 emulation in vi is just awful.  Is there some set of
>parameters in the program or in my .cshrc I can change to make the emulation
>work better?
>

>--
>				Tom Maddox
>			tmaddox@milton.u.washington.edu
>	"It is imperative to write invulnerable sentences."  --  Hugo Ball

I'm a gnuemacs user myself (I think vi is just awful), so I don't know much
about vi.  Since I have no problem with vt100 emulation here with any comm
program I've ever used, I have to wonder if your system knows you're using a
vt100 emulator.  Are you asked what terminal type you're using when you log
on, or does your system assume some mysterious default?  Try issuing the UNIX
command,
	setenv TERM vt100
before you start vi.

Hope that helps.