[comp.sys.mac.comm] How do I use the LISTSERVE at RICE ???

morgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) (04/03/91)

Hi all, I think I read somewhere that you can mail to a mailserver
requesting certain files and it will mail those files back to you ???

I saw the end of a discusion about LISTSERVE and RICE. Can anyone
explain what this is and how to use it. I can FTP to sumex but
the connection from Holland is often expensively slow since I
first must dial on to a system in Amsterdam before I can reach
the InterNet.

I would be very greatful for any information on this subject,

thank in advance

Chris Morgan
morgan@riks.nl

mfader@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Fader) (04/09/91)

In article <19103@slice.ooc.uva.nl> morgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) writes:
>Hi all, I think I read somewhere that you can mail to a mailserver
>requesting certain files and it will mail those files back to you ???
>
>I saw the end of a discusion about LISTSERVE and RICE. Can anyone
>explain what this is and how to use it. I can FTP to sumex but
>the connection from Holland is often expensively slow since I
>first must dial on to a system in Amsterdam before I can reach
>the InterNet.
>
>I would be very greatful for any information on this subject,
>
>thank in advance
>
>Chris Morgan
>morgan@riks.nl

I used to access listserve at Rice via BITNET with the TELL command on an IBM
VM/CMS system; I'm not sure if listserve will respond to email with commands in
the message.

Anyway, send the command (via email? or TELL listserve at rice)
	$MACARCH INDEX
This will mail you a file of all the filenames in the archive.  To retrieve a
file, issue the command
	$MACARCH GET filename

There's also a general help command, either HELP of $MACARCH HELP, which will
mail you a file of all the commands.

"Listserve at Rice" is a BITNET ad from within the US; I don't know if it
requires any extensions from outside the country.

You also might not be able to access Rice since there is a duplicate archive
for European use, macserve at IRLEARN (and another one in the US, macserve at
pucc).  The commands for pucc or IRLEARN are identical:

(email? or TELL macserve at IRLEARN) followed by
	GET INDEX ALL
which mails you the master file of all filenames.  To retrieve a file, use
	GET filename.

By the way, after you already have the master file, you need only send the
commands
	$MACARCH INDEX (for Rice), or
	INDEX (for pucc or IRLEARN),

which will mail you just a list of files RECENTLY added to the archive.

Enjoy!

rosen@cs.utexas.edu (Eric Carl Rosen) (04/09/91)

The previous post gave a good description on how to bootstrap yourself
into accessing the INFOMAC [MACARCH] shadow archive at Rice. The full
official address to send your e-mail to is: LISTSERV@ricevm1.rice.edu

--Eric