[comp.sys.mac.comm] UUCP for Mac??

ckoch@soul.UUCP (Chriss Koch) (04/06/91)

What UUCP mail programs are available for the Macintosh and what
are their costs?

Chriss Koch      Ampex Video Systems Corp., 600 Wooten Rd., Colo Spgs, CO 80915
UUCP:  uunet!ampex!soul!ckoch                 SCORPION BBS 719.637.1458 (sysop)

dburr@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (04/06/91)

In article <56@soul.UUCP> ckoch@soul.UUCP (Chriss Koch) writes:
>What UUCP mail programs are available for the Macintosh and what
>are their costs?
>

>--
>Chriss Koch      Ampex Video Systems Corp., 600 Wooten Rd., Colo Spgs, CO 80915
>UUCP:  uunet!ampex!soul!ckoch                 SCORPION BBS 719.637.1458 (sysop)

There is a PD/shareware one called uupc.  (Yes, that wasn't a typo.)
It's free to download, dunno about shareware fee.  It's on America On-
Line, in the communications library / Network ARchitecture / Mac to Other
Worlds, I believe, or check in Comm/Network Arch/Other files .
Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) (04/07/91)

From article <56@soul.UUCP>, by ckoch@soul.UUCP (Chriss Koch):
> What UUCP mail programs are available for the Macintosh and what
> are their costs?

Check out Mac/gnuucp, available from sumex and the think-c archives on
ics.uci.edu.  The software's free, but there's an optional $20 shareware
fee to be put on the update-and-mailing list.

The actual mail interface is a very nice Hypercard stack.  There's enough
doc to help you set up the comm parameters (very classic-uucp in flavor,
as opposed to HoneyDanBER).  All source is available.  I didn't have to
change ANYTHING for the latest (4.3) version, and it runs fine on 7.0b4.

=Ned Horvath=

harv@harvs.UUCP (Patrick L. Harvey) (04/07/91)

In article <56@soul.UUCP>, ckoch@soul.UUCP (Chriss Koch) writes:
> What UUCP mail programs are available for the Macintosh and what
> are their costs?

I use ICE Engineering's uAccess, it is a really nice news and mail
system.  For more info contact:

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

Patrick L. Harvey           | Home: romed!harvs!harv@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
VLSI Technology, Inc.       | Work: vlsisj!phx!harv@decwrl.dec.com
(602) 752-6151              |
Don't understand anything I read, but sure is fun getting all this mail.

In article <1991Apr6.101214.2162@agate.berkeley.edu>, dburr@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) writes:
> In article <56@soul.UUCP> ckoch@soul.UUCP (Chriss Koch) writes:
> >What UUCP mail programs are available for the Macintosh and what
> >are their costs?
> >

> >--
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >Chriss Koch      Ampex Video Systems Corp., 600 Wooten Rd., Colo Spgs, CO 80915
> >UUCP:  uunet!ampex!soul!ckoch                 SCORPION BBS 719.637.1458 (sysop)
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

> There is a PD/shareware one called uupc.  (Yes, that wasn't a typo.)
> It's free to download, dunno about shareware fee.  It's on America On-
> Line, in the communications library / Network ARchitecture / Mac to Other
> Worlds, I believe, or check in Comm/Network Arch/Other files .
> Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
> INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
>       or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

I thought uupc was just for the PC.  There is a freeware one called
Eudora, however, uploadable from anony ftp at gatekeeper.dec.com.

dplatt@ntg.uucp (Dave Platt) (04/08/91)

In article <56@soul.UUCP> ckoch@soul.UUCP (Chriss Koch) writes:
>What UUCP mail programs are available for the Macintosh and what
>are their costs?

There are two I've used myself, and one I've heard of but not used, and
one I've written a part of myself.

uupc 2.1 is a Mac port of a free uucp transport application and a mail
user-agent (reader/writer) called "pcmail".  The interface to both is
non-Mac-like... the programs run in a "glass TTY" mode using the THINK C
"console emulator."  This isn't much of a problem for the uucp program
itself (except that it doesn't run in the MultiFinder background);  I
find the interface to the "pcmail" program to be quite limiting (no real
editing to speak of).  uupc 2.1 supports a three-packet-window protocol
(like most Unix systems), and seems capable of driving a 9600 bps modem
(e.g. V.32) at full speed.  uucp 2.1 is freeware, and is probably
available from the /info-mac archives at SUMEX and from a number of
bulletin-board systems around the country.  Full source code (THINK C)
is available.

Mac/gnuucp (currently at version 4.3, I think) is a Mac port of the GNU
project's uucp transport program.  The uucp program itself is available
at no charge (per the GNU General License).  The fellow who ported it to
the Mac, Jim O'Dell (jim@fpr.com) has written a HyperCard stack which
acts as a flexible mail user agent.  I believe that his stack is
distributed as shareware.  The current version of Mac/gnuucp supports
only a one-packet-wide transfer window... in effect, it's a "stop and
wait" implementation... and as a result its throughput is definitely
inferior to that of uupc 2.1 (it rarely exceeds 240 cps even on a 9600
bps connection).  It will run in the background under MultiFinder.  Jim
is considering adding a 3-packet window to the protocol, but has not
(as far as I know) announced a definite date for the release.

There's a commercial uucp package called "uAccess" or "microAccess", I
believe.  I don't know anything much about it.

I've written a mail user-agent program called "Fernmail" which is
intended to take the place of "pcmail" in the uupc 2.1 product... and
it's also compatible with Mac/gnuucp.  It's modeled somewhat after the
Sun "mailtool" program, and supports multiple windows (mailboxes or
messages-being-composed), has a click-and-drag interface to move
messages between mailboxes, automatically segments large messages into
smaller chunks, and has a built-in BinHex encoder so you can mail
arbitrary binary files.  I'll probably be distributing it as shareware.
Drop me a note at "dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us" if you're interested.

--
Dave Platt                                                VOICE: (415) 813-8917
                    UUCP: ...apple!ntg!dplatt

bhoule@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Bill Houle) (04/09/91)

In <01010002.cebdhjq@harvs.UUCP> harv@harvs.UUCP (Patrick L. Harvey) writes:

>I thought uupc was just for the PC.  There is a freeware one called
>Eudora, however, uploadable from anony ftp at gatekeeper.dec.com.

Versions of uupc exist for both the Mac and PCs.  As others mentioned,
there is also Mac/gnuucp.

Eudora is not a UUCP implementation but rather a POP client (requiring
a POP server on the Unix end).  The difference?  With POP, your address
is the host where the POP server is located.  With UUCP, your Mac/PC
itself becomes a node on the network.

--
Bill Houle                       bhoule@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
NCR NPD-San Diego                (619) 693-5593

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (04/09/91)

>Eudora is not a UUCP implementation but rather a POP client (requiring
>a POP server on the Unix end).  The difference?  With POP, your address
>is the host where the POP server is located.  With UUCP, your Mac/PC
>itself becomes a node on the network.

Agreed.  This can be a benefit or a liability.

More fundamentally, though, UUCP is a general file transfer facility,
on top of which are built services like mail or news.

It would even be possible to adapt Eudora for use with UUCP; the pieces are
almost all there.  Someday, perhaps.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner