[comp.sys.mac.comm] local laserwriter operation concurrent with Appleshare

davem@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Dave McWilliams) (04/10/91)

Does anyone know if there is a driver available that will allow you to
use an Apple laserwriter directly connected to the modem or built-in port of
your Macintosh and at the same time use Appleshare?  I can do that with
an Imagewriter by selecting the modem port, but the standard laserwriter
driver won't let me do that.  I can also do it by going to the Control
Panel and switching from "Ethertalk" to "Built-in", but that makes my
Appleshare connection go away.

Please respond directly to:   manderso@s.psych.uiuc.edu

Thanks!

Mike Anderson
University of Illinois
--
Dave McWilliams     e-mail: davem@ncsa.uiuc.edu     phone: (217) 244-0640

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (04/10/91)

davem@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Dave McWilliams) writes:

>Does anyone know if there is a driver available that will allow you to
>use an Apple laserwriter directly connected to the modem or built-in port of
>your Macintosh and at the same time use Appleshare?

I assume you mean that the only way you can get to the Appleshare server
is over Ethernet. The answer is yes, you can do it, but you don't want
to. Remember that LaserWriters only speak Appletalk, and then, only on
LocalTalk (i.e. printer port) hardware. Your Mac is already part of an
AppleTalk-on-Ethernet-hardware network by connecting to your AppleShare
server. You would either have to a) put your LaserWriter on the Ethernet
by buying an EtherPrint-like box (a few hundred dollars) or b) make your
Macintosh a network-to-network router with either Liason or AppleTalk
Internet Router software (more hundreds of dollars, and slows down your
machine to a crawl).

There is a serial port LaserWriter Driver available, but I have not heard
great things and it is kind of old (someone correct me if I am wrong on that).

pr

--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC