[comp.sys.mac.comm] AppleTalk Phase II capabilities under LocalTalk ?

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (04/07/91)

Hello,

   I'm currently beta testing a product based on Faircom's CTree Server,
which is basically a client-server database architecture that runs as
a process under multifinder on a Mac.

   The only problem is that the Faircom code only supports client to
server connections within the SAME AppleTalk zone.  This means that the
product cannot be uses simultaneously by EtherTalk and LocalTalk users
since they reside on different zones.

   I thought of using AppleTalk Phase II's support for "logical zones",
but unfortunately this support is not available for LocalTalk.

   Is there a product (router, INIT, whatever...) that would enable
a LocalTalk node to be "logically" situated in an AppleTalk Phase II zone ?

   If this is impossible, how difficult would it be to patch the server and
client to handle multiple zones (I would not be doing this myself, but
I would like to be able to give the company some insight on the work involved)?

Your comments would be much appreciated!

| Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: P.Gosselin@CAM.ORG Applelink: CDA0585 |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337     |

tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr7.032616.13752@CAM.ORG>, pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:
>    I'm currently beta testing a product based on Faircom's CTree Server,
>
>    The only problem is that the Faircom code only supports client to
> server connections within the SAME AppleTalk zone.  This means that the
> product cannot be uses simultaneously by EtherTalk and LocalTalk users
> since they reside on different zones.

It can't select the zone??? What a peculiar restriction?

>    I thought of using AppleTalk Phase II's support for "logical zones",
> but unfortunately this support is not available for LocalTalk.

You can always put all your networks (or all the ones you want to use
this product) in the same zone. This is called "changing your
network architecture to suit the product".

You can also put LocalTalk zone names in your EtherTalk zone list.
This provides the "overlap" you might be looking for.

Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au ** ADD ".au" MANUALLY (don't trust "reply") **
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  A.C.N. 004 818 455