[comp.sys.mac.comm] SLIP

dubuc@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Martin Dubuc) (09/07/90)

I would want to use Telnet or FTP over a serial line. I have followed
recent discussion about the subject. Two programs have been suggested:
NET/Mac and a modified version of NCSA Telnet.

I have fetched those two pragrams but they do not seem to work (I haven't
been able to use them properly). NET/Mac 2.0 (apple.com) does not seem to
support SLIP. Is there a special version that supports it? Where can I find
this version?

Telnet does not seem either to support SLIP. Maybe I have to change the
config.tel file, but I do not know what it should look like.

Now, I would like to know how this should work. How does my Mac know where
to call in order to establish a connection with another machine? Should there
be a special program running on the machine I connect to?

Could someone who has used something like this summarize what one has to
do in order to use these softwares with SLIP.

--

   Martin Dubuc                     Local S-242, Pavillon Principal
   dubuc@IRO.UMontreal.CA           Universite de Montreal

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep6.210649.18815@IRO.UMontreal.CA>, dubuc@IRO.UMontreal.CA
(Martin Dubuc) writes:
> I would want to use Telnet or FTP over a serial line. I have followed
> recent discussion about the subject. Two programs have been suggested:
> NET/Mac and a modified version of NCSA Telnet.

I am not familiar with NET/Mac? Que?  But we have a product called TCP/Connect
II that allows you to establish a SLIP connection.  You are then able to
use our telnet (vt240/241,TN3270,Tek4014), FTP, NNTP reader, SMTP/POP, finger,
etc...  If this is of interest to you please drop a note to me with your
SnailMail address and I will send some information to you.

There is also a version of NCSA Telnet which you can get from Cisco (I think)
that contains SLIP.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

satz@cisco.com (Greg Satz) (09/10/90)

You can get a modified version of NCSA Telnet 2.3 with SLIP and BYU's
client FTP on host ftp.cisco.com (131.108.1.27). There is a README file
which describes what you want to retrieve. This software was developed for
our customers who use cisco Terminal Servers and SLIP. However cisco makes
it available to anyone.

Note that this is unsupported and provided as is.

Greg Satz
cisco

kirkby@bandar.dg.oz (Chris Kirkby) (04/15/91)

I have the NCSA telnet with SLIP support, But I dont have any documentation
Does anyone know where to get the documnetation, specifically how to change
to baud rate?

Thanks

Chris Kirkby			| Internet:  kirkby@dgaust.oz.dg.com
Data General			| ACSnet:    kirkby@dgaust.dg.oz
100 Dorcas Street		| CEO:	     Chris_Kirkby@DGA.ceo.dg.com
South Melbourne, Australia      | Phone:     (61) 3 698-6988