[comp.sys.mac.comm] Can NCSA Telnet be modified

wilde@cs.colorado.edu (Nick Wilde) (04/17/91)

In article <11000@bunny.GTE.COM>, dhp1@gte.com (Dave Pascoe) writes:

> If possible, I'd like to modify NCSA Telnet 2.3 (MacTCP version) so that
> the file creator on ASCII ftp transfers is MS Word.  Does anyone know of
> a way to do this with ResEdit?  Or does it require modification to the
> source code?
> --

This is one of the first things I do with any program that involves text
file transfers back and forth. Its not to difficult to do, but requires
the fortitude to search through the code segments looking for the right
string of characters.

[Aside to all you Mac.Programmers out there - which is the reason
I decided to post this rather than e-mail it in the first place -
Why do you make all your poor users go through this archaic rigamarole?
If you're gonna end up creating TEXT files, why not put an option
in someplace to let the user change the creator ? Or, at least,
put it in a string resource somewhere where its easier to get to...
Grouse, grump, grumble, whine...]

The following APPEARS to work on NCSA Telnet 2.4b10, MacTCP version:

1) MAKE A COPY OF THE TELNET APPLICATION !
2) Read (and heed) step number 1.
3) Open one copy of the telnet app with ResEdit
4) Open up the "CODE" resources inside ResEdit
5) In the version of Telnet I'm using, the appropriate
   4 character string was located in the "tcplib" code
   segment - your results may vary, depending upon the
   code version and whether or not you're using the
   tcp version.

    Regardless, the thing to do is to start looking
    through the code segments, using the "Find ASCII"
    command in ResEdit, for the 4 letters "MPS "
    (Actually, its easier just to look for the 3
    letters MPS, forget the blank for a moment).
		  This is case sensitive, so make sure to use capital
    letters. Make sure you get the right MSP(blank), too.
    I don't think there's more than one, but you'll
    know you've found the right one if the characters
    "TEXT" appear near by.

6) Once you've found "MPS ", change the 4 letters
   to the creator of the application you'd like
   launched, MSWD for MS Word, ALFA for the Alpha
   text editor, etc.

7) Making sure not to add, change, or delete any other
   characters in the code segment, close the file, get
   out of ResEdit, launch Telnet, and, if everything
   goes according to plan, you should be all set.

DISCLAIMER - This works for me, on my machine, with my files, that I'm foolish
enough to mess around with. If it doesn't work for you, or if you munge something
up cause mean, nasty and ugly things to happen to you (like on the group W bench),
IT AINT MY FAULT !!!!

-Nick

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr17.051135.13324@colorado.edu> wilde@cs.colorado.edu (Nick Wilde) writes:
>If you're gonna end up creating TEXT files, why not put an option
>in someplace to let the user change the creator ?

*I* do.  Dunno about anybody else.

:-)
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

Rick_McCormack@mindlink.bc.ca (Rick McCormack) (04/17/91)

{In article <11000@bunny.GTE.COM>, dhp1@gte.com (Dave Pascoe) writes:
 >   >{ If possible, I'd like to modify NCSA Telnet 2.3 (MacTCP
 >  version) so that the file creator on ASCII ftp transfers is
 >  MS Word.  Does anyone know of a way to do this with ResEdit?
 >  Or does it require modification to the source code?

i{You could try a program called Ju{pStart, which allows you to set the
applqications launched by double clicking on documents.

Luck
| IMAGISTICS Business Theatre Technology | Rick McCormack |
|  Interactive   Effective   Compelling  | Vancouver,  BC |
|  UseNet: Rick_McCormack@mindlink.uucp  |  A O-L: Rique  |
.