[comp.sys.mac.comm] AdminTCP vs. MacTCP

dhp1@gte.com (Dave Pascoe) (04/16/91)

Does anyone know the difference between the AdminTCP and MacTCP cdevs?  I just
acquired AdminTCP and the only thing it seems to do is make all the fields
within MacTCP untouchable (I set "Protected" in AdminTCP).

Is AdminTCP meant to be used by the "administrator" for an individual LocalTalk
network?  Is it possible to have all LocalTalk machines with MacTCP read
things like the domain name server, etc. from a central administration machine
when a change occurs?  Probably not.....hmmm

So why does AdminTCP exist?
--
Dave Pascoe   |  dhp1@gte.com
GTE/SCSD      |

csr@ubvax.UB.Com (Chris Ranch) (04/17/91)

In article <10999@bunny.GTE.COM> dhp1@gte.com (Dave Pascoe) writes:
>Does anyone know the difference between the AdminTCP and MacTCP cdevs?  I just
>acquired AdminTCP and the only thing it seems to do is make all the fields
>within MacTCP untouchable (I set "Protected" in AdminTCP).

	You are correct.  The driver, DNR, and configuration are in MacTCP,
	and AdminTCP only sets protection bits in the configuration resource
	MacTCP.

>Is AdminTCP meant to be used by the "administrator" for an individual LocalTalk
>network?  Is it possible to have all LocalTalk machines with MacTCP read
>things like the domain name server, etc. from a central administration machine
>when a change occurs?  Probably not.....hmmm

	Yes. No.  Currently using the server address feature, dns info
	is not configured.  John V.?  Also, cfg info currently is designed
	to be sent to MacTCP when a LocalTalk workstation establishes a
	'session' with an IP in AppleTalk forwarding agent [IPGATEWAY],
	aka MacIP.  Do you really want an IPGATEWAY to send messages to
	clients when a configuration change occurs?  Currently, there is
	no facility in MacIP to send unsolicited messages to clients.

>So why does AdminTCP exist?

	To keep IP illiterate users from screwing up their networks.

>Dave Pascoe   |  dhp1@gte.com
>GTE/SCSD      |
>KM3T          |  Packet Radio: KM3T @ KA2QHD.NJ

--