[comp.sys.mac.comm] Can NCSA Telnet be modified to create MSWord files on ftp xfers?

dhp1@gte.com (Dave Pascoe) (04/16/91)

If possible, I'd like to modify NCSA Telnet 2.3 (MacTCP version) so that
the file creator on ASCII ftp transfers is MS Word.  Does anyone know of
a way to do this with ResEdit?  Or does it require modification to the
source code?
--
Dave Pascoe   |  dhp1@gte.com
GTE/SCSD      |

beckett@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (Robert Beckett) (04/17/91)

In article <11000@bunny.GTE.COM> dhp1@gte.com (Dave Pascoe) writes:

>If possible, I'd like to modify NCSA Telnet 2.3 (MacTCP version) so that
>the file creator on ASCII ftp transfers is MS Word.  Does anyone know of
>a way to do this with ResEdit?  Or does it require modification to the
>source code?

I, too, am interested how this might be done.  In a report of bugs I sent to
the programmers of NCSA Telnet, I included this question.  But I never got an
answer. :-(

--
                                                        --Robert
"This is the language of the on again, off again future, and it is digital."

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (04/17/91)

Use ResEdit (on a COPY of NCSA Telnet) to change the owner of the
text files received by FTP.  In code resource 2, "tcplib", at offset
01DC is the four-byte field that will be used by Telnet when
it creates the file.  Change it to the signature of the application
you want to use.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

rhaller@oregon.uoregon.edu (04/18/91)

I haven't received a response to my first query so here goes again.

Where should one look for the latest version of the BYU varient of NCSA telnet?

-Rich Haller  <rhaller@oregon.uoregon.edu>
-Network Services User Support
-University of Oregon