[comp.sys.mac.comm] Commercial package with vt100 and tn3270 emulation?

mccurdy@ucselx.sdsu.edu (mccurdy m) (04/11/91)

	I have been asked to find out if there exists a commercial
software package that emulate vt100 and tn3270 with no special board
needed for tn3270. Ideally, this package would also allow keys to be
defined to various functions. It would also be wonderful if it could
handle tektronix emulation. It would be even better if it could provide
me with an emotionally and physically satisfying relationship but ...

Thanks in advance ...

-mike mccurdy

--
Mike McCurdy               *  mccurdy@ucselx.sdsu.edu *

caasi@ucselx.sdsu.edu (richard) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr10.202004.6947@ucselx.sdsu.edu> mccurdy@ucselx.sdsu.edu (mccurdy m) writes:
>	I have been asked to find out if there exists a commercial
>software package that emulate vt100 and tn3270 with no special board
>needed for tn3270. Ideally, this package would also allow keys to be
>defined to various functions. It would also be wonderful if it could
>handle tektronix emulation. It would be even better if it could provide
>me with an emotionally and physically satisfying relationship but ...
>
>Thanks in advance ...
>-mike mccurdy

 I don't know about the last requirement but you might want to give the
 following products a gander:

 Ungermann-Bass

 Apple Macintosh (Microcomputer) (Computer programs)
 Macintosh Universal Workstation 2.0 (Computer network software)

 - emulates IBM 3270, Tandem Computers Inc. 6530 and (DEC) VT220 terminals.
 - supports both direct Ethernet connections and routers running AppleTalk
   and TCP/IP protocols.
 - Can have up to six sessions with different hosts
 - MacUWS 2.0 is priced at $495 for an administrator kit and $450 for each
   user license.

 Simware Inc.
 SimMac 3.0 (Computer terminal emulator)

 - An updated and renamed version of its Mac3270 2.0 mainframe-connectivity
   software.
 - Maclike graphical interface to mainframe applications via a 3270
   terminal-emulation window.
 - Can use View, SimMac's built-in Advantage scripting language, to
   associate Macintosh interface features such as buttons and check boxes
   with standard 3270-emulation features.
 - Has an MS-DOS cousin, SimPC, which has the same functionality as SimMac,
   Most Advantage scripts can be shared between SimPC and SimMac.
 - SimMac is available in both Async and Master versions.  The Async version
   works with Simware's Sim3278 software for emulation and file transfer over
   dial-up lines.  The Master version supports async and a variety of other
   terminal-emulation modes and physical connections, including Apple's
   Coax/Twinax card.  It works with Simware's SimXfer file transfer software.
   Both versions include VT100 and TTY emulation.
 - SimMac Async costs $265 per single copy; SimMac Master costs $340 per copy.
   Site licensing is also available.
 - Simware Inc. is located at 20 Colonnade Road, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K2E
   7M6; (613) 727-1779.

 Apple Computer Inc.
 MacWorkstation

 - Program development software
 - ATS helps applications look more like native microcomputer programs
 - a more sophisticated terminal-control protocol than Digital Equipment
   Corp.'s VT100 or IBM Corp.'s 3270
 - lets programmers give mainframe applications graphical front ends that
   run on smart terminals such as Macs or, now, PCs and Unix machines.

 Richard Caasi
 SDSU

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (04/19/91)

I feel slighted.  Humph.  Well there is one other commercial product as well,
and I think we were first as well.

TCP/Connect II

	- TN3270, Tek 4014, and VT241 emulations
	- builtin TCP or MacTCP
	- Number of sessions limited by memory
	- Client/Server FTP
	- NNTP reader
	- Mail  SMTP outgoing  POP2 and POP3 incoming
	- SNMP agent
	- SLIP for those of you who want to run over a phone line from home
	- Sold in single units and bundles of 10, 25, 50, and 100.  Prices start
	  at $195 for a Basic version to $495 for the Extended version in single
	  quantity prices.  Bundle prices bring the individual unit prices down.

	- Phone 703.709.9890

There is more, but this should give you a good idea.  We run over AppleTalk or
EtherNet, or serial lines.

Kurt Baumann                  703.709.9890
InterCon Systems Corp.   Creators of fine TCP/IP products for
                                       the Macintosh