[net.railroad] Philly-Pittsburgh train

Nicholas.Spies@CMU-CS-H.arpa (08/02/85)

A few years ago I recall that some money was put aside for a study on
a high-speed railroad line between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. I was
wondering if the results of this feasability study have been made public
and what the conclusions were. As it now stands, this scenic route is
only serviced by two trains a day; the Broadway limited, the through
train from NY to Chicago, and the Pennsylvanian, funded at least in
part by the State of PA.

It would seem that the terrain would limit the speed, at least along the
present right-of-way. Were new tunnels contemplated? (I understand that
some of the tunnels on the PA turnpike [now all upgraded] were originally
built for RR use many years ago.)

If you can spare the time, and board at odd times, there is no better way
of travelling between the centers of these two great PA cities. In Philly,
the connection between 30th Street Station and the Reading Terminal (12th
Street) has been completed, allowing local train connections from Doylestown
to Coatesville. The first portion of the Pittsburgh subway system was
recently completed, and when a spur line is completed there will be a
subway station at PA station (also near intercity bus connections). This
gives direct access to public transport East and South of the city along
unobstructed routes.

Considering that a cab costs ~$30 from downtown Pittsburgh to airport, with

lucas@cmu-psy-a.arpa (pete lucas) (09/01/85)

The study of a high-speed Philadelphia-Pittsburgh line is very much alive
and appears to be moving along nicely.  The commission's ridership estimates
were very favorable and the project has just received a substantial grant
from the Budd company and the German government to study the feasibility
of using German mag-lev technology on the route.

The prospect of such a line is really pretty exciting.  It would represent
the fulfillment of the 50 year old Pennsy vision of an electrified route from
New York to Pittsburgh.  If actually built, it would quite possibly serve as
a catalyst for the completion of a high speed corridor west to Chicago.
There already exists a consortium of states along this route to study such a
project, although I haven't heard much from them recently.

The Pittsburgh Press opposes the plan, citing the fact that the commission's
ridership estimates were several times greater than that served by the
present airline traffic between the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.  This, of
course, ignores one or two additional sources of ridership, such as the
intercity airline traffic between these cities and Harrisburg, Altoona, and
Johnstown, as well as passengers originating elsewhere on the NE corridor,
for which there are already good connections to Philadelphia.  This is not to
mention the random traveller who currently *drives* between these cities and
who might be tempted to forgo the pleasures of the Pennsylvania Turnpike
given a reasonable alternative.

drockwel@CSNET-SH.ARPA (Dennis Rockwell) (09/02/85)

Regarding the thoughts about using maglev between Philly and Pittsburgh, why
not just (big word, "just") upgrade the current right-of-way to the
standards now in effect for the Northeast Corridor (now AMTRAK owned and
maintained) and thus have off-the-shelf 110+ MPH service that doesn't use
incompatible (and unproven in hard usage) track and rolling stock?

This option must be cheaper than making a whole new right-of-way through
some pretty pricey real estate.  Installation and maintenance (always
something to beware of these days, being the first thing ignored when
profits aren't high enough) of a conventional catenary system *must* be
cheaper than maglev.  The Pennsy "Main Line" is already electrified (albeit
not up the Corridor standards)  as far as Harrisburg; that's about 1/3 of
the distance (am I close?).  Forcing NY-Pittsburgh riders to change trains
at Philly (or Harrisburg) doesn't seem like an attractive proposition.
Moving a cut of coaches from one locomotive to another at Philly seems much
more reasonable.

I do realize the the maglev promises higher speeds than conventional rail
will (probably) ever attain.  It's also true that the Pennsy could and often
did deliver roughly equivalent service to that which AMTRAK now provides in
the Corridor and out to Harrisburg 40 years ago using GG1s on the point.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of maglev; however, the economy
is very variable, and a system that can use already field-proven that we
know how to maintain (and already have the facilities and expertise to do
so!) appears to be a sounder economic decision.  We don't want another
expensive botch like the Concorde, do we?

Dennis Rockwell
Electric Locomotive Fan (esp. the GG1 and AEM7)

That ought to start up some discussion!

drockwel@CSNET-SH.ARPA (Dennis Rockwell) (09/03/85)

	From: David.Black@cmu-cs-a.ARPA
	Date: Sun,  1 Sep 85 21:34 EDT
	Subject: Re: Philly-Pittsburgh train

	Gee, Dennis...when was the last time you rode Amtrak between Phila.
	and Pittsburgh??  If recently, then you're familiar with one major
	reason that line is not suitable for a NEC-style upgrading;
	excessive curvature. [ ... ]

Heavy sigh.  That's what I was afraid of; I've only ridden as far as
Harrisburg.  This is the same reason that electrification isn't being
seriously considered for New Haven-Boston.  At least that's pretty flat.

	On top of this, west of Harrisburg, the ex-Pennsy route is one of
	Conrail's most heavily used freight lines; the freights will knock
	that delicate passenger alignment and superelevation all out of
	whack on a daily basis [ ... ]

Yup -- I saw the Trains article.  Being generally unfamiliar with western
PA, I didn't know there was that much freight traffic there, but I should've
been able to figure it out.  This is sounds like one of the places where the
railroad is a clear win over truck traffic, due to topography and tonnage.

	[ ... ] plus a new line on new alignment between there and Pittsburgh.

What sort of real estate congestion is there out that way?  How much trouble
would there be obtaining the rights-of-way?  Is there a radically different
route available which might be longer, but straighter and flatter (along
some valley -- don't lots of them run NW through that region?) that didn't
totally ignore where people want to go?

	The French TGV lines are built this way; use existing alignments
	where practical, particularly for city entries, and bypass hopelessly
	curved areas with new lines on straighter but more hilly alignments.
	Needless to say, this won't be cheap.

Yeah!  Boston used the same methods already for new rights-of-way -- one
for the MBTA Green Line Riverside branch (formerly Boston & Albany, now
Boeing LTV/PCC streetcar), another for the Mass Pike!  The latter still
carries a couple of tracks and was recently relaid with welded rail.  The
Washington Metro also does this in several directions out from DC.

TGV does do well on grades; but yes, it won't be cheap.  I don't remember
anything in the NEC Trains article on the grades in the corridor.  Did the
later article on the AEM7 mention it?

Dennis