[comp.sys.mac.comm] Question on SNMP

domenikos@emass1.enet.dec.com (My name is George Domenikos.) (04/16/91)

Can somebody point me to a document dscribing the actual SNMP calls?
I would like to talk to a router that supports SNMP.
I have the overall standard document, but it is not clear to me as
to what the actual calls are and what kind of information they provide.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

George

stevewi@hpspdra.HP.COM (Steve Witten) (04/18/91)

/ hpspdra:comp.sys.mac.comm / domenikos@emass1.enet.dec.com (My name is George Domenikos.) / 12:54 pm  Apr 15, 1991 /

> Can somebody point me to a document dscribing the actual SNMP calls?
> I would like to talk to a router that supports SNMP.
> I have the overall standard document, but it is not clear to me as
> to what the actual calls are and what kind of information they provide.
>
> Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
>George

What "calls" you make depend on whose code you are going to use.  SNMP
only defines the content/semantics of "protocol data units (PDUs)"
that accomplish the SNMP "task".  It defines no standard language
bindings for functions to build/send/receive/decompose those PDU's.

I assume you are using a Mac to talk to your router.  I can't help you
with that.  FTP Software (26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA 01880,
617-246-0900) has (or will have shortly) a library for writing SNMP
applications on DOS (works using Ethernet or SLIP as well).

BTW, SNMP assumes UDP as its transport.

Steve Witten                    stevewi%hpspdra@hplabs.hp.com
Intelligent Networks Operation  ...!hplabs!hpspdra!stevewi
Hewlett-Packard Co.             stevewi@hpspdra.spd.hp.com

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (04/20/91)

In article <21460003@hpspdra.HP.COM>, stevewi@hpspdra.HP.COM (Steve Witten)
writes:
> I assume you are using a Mac to talk to your router.  I can't help you
> with that.  FTP Software (26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA 01880,
> 617-246-0900) has (or will have shortly) a library for writing SNMP
> applications on DOS (works using Ethernet or SLIP as well).

InterCon will also have a SNMP management station on the Macintosh called
WatchTower.  Release date should be within the next couple of months.  The
station will speak to just about any router via SNMP.  Hope this helps.

Kurt Baumann                  703.709.9890
InterCon Systems Corp.   Creators of fine TCP/IP products for
                                       the Macintosh

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (04/23/91)

You can get the source code to some rudimentary SNMP tools from
lancaster.andrew.cmu.edu in the pub directory via anonymous ftp.
"cmu-snmp1.0.tar.Z is about 138K. Contained are the source code to the
tools, source for a SNMP library of calls, and man pages for the tools. We
use it to test SNMP on boxes that we are evaluating for client
recommendation. We may move up to something a little more robust, but heck,
you can't beat source.

By the way, the source is for BSD, so it would have
to be massively ported to the Mac. It may not even be possible. You could
use the source as a reference on how to do it though.
--
Andrew C. Esh			andrew@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.