[comp.sys.mac.comm] LaserWriter Access via ethertalk?

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (04/06/91)

We have a Laserwriter attached to a Mac II via localtalk. The Mac is
also on ethernet, and we have numerous other macs attached via ethernet.
Is there a cheap way to make the Mac function as a gateway for the
ethernet'ed macs to access the Laserwriter?

aem
--
aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu .......................................................
For three days after death hair and fingernails continue to grow but phone

bunch@jessica.Stanford.edu (Charles Bunch) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr05.232648.15198@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>
aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
> We have a Laserwriter attached to a Mac II via localtalk. The Mac is
> also on ethernet, and we have numerous other macs attached via ethernet.
> Is there a cheap way to make the Mac function as a gateway for the
> ethernet'ed macs to access the Laserwriter?

If all you want to do is access one printer, probably Dayna's EtherPrint
is the best bet.  It connects the printer directly to the ethernet, not
requiring a Mac for routing.
We have also found that the Apple Internet Router works fine for this.
From what I've read, Farallon's Liaison should work as well.  Both of
these are software routers, which require you to leave your Mac on to
access the printer and will degrade the performance on the router Mac.

Charles Bunch
bunch@jessica.stanford.edu