[comp.sys.mac.comm] Where/how can I get MacTCP?

mjs@behemoth.genetics.wisc.edu (Mike Schmelzer) (04/12/91)

Subject line says it all.
Also, if Apple wants $$$ for it, let me know how much.
Thanks in advance!
Please reply by email, I'll post a summary.
--
==== Mike Schmelzer, UW Genetix, mjs@genetics.wisc.edu, (608)263-7459. ===
========= Schmelzer's Law: You can have anything you don't want. =========

martyz@idui1.csrv.uidaho.edu (Marty Zimmerman) (04/12/91)

In article <MJS.91Apr11194042@behemoth.genetics.wisc.edu>
mjs@behemoth.genetics.wisc.edu (Mike Schmelzer) writes:
>Subject line says it all.
>Also, if Apple wants $$$ for it, let me know how much.
>Thanks in advance!
>Please reply by email, I'll post a summary.
>--
>==== Mike Schmelzer, UW Genetix, mjs@genetics.wisc.edu, (608)263-7459. ===
>========= Schmelzer's Law: You can have anything you don't want. =========
>================ "How can hatred uplift a race?" - 3rd Bass ==============

Apple will sell you the MacTCP Developer's Kit for $100 (US), which
contains a copy of MacTCP plus libraries for developing applications.
As far as I can tell, the only way they distribute MacTCP by itself
is through a site-license for around $2500 (educational price).  Hope
this helps.

martyz@idui1.csrv.uidaho.edu

JRowe@exua.exeter.ac.uk (John Rowe) (04/17/91)

 Two questions. First what *IS* MacTCP? Is it a delelopers tool
designed to create standalone applications or is it a user purchased
package required by other comms applications? No one at Apple UK knows
anything about it, they just read the description, give me a US
phone number and invite me to join a developer's group!

 If it's a user purchased product why can't I just buy it in a nice
shiny box and clunk it into my Mac? If it's not why should I need it?

 Second question, how do I get hold of the version of NCSA Telnet
2.4Beta that doesn't need this non product?

 Thanks to any one who can sort out my confusion.

John Rowe
Exeter University Computational Physics Group
UK

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (04/22/91)

> Is it a delelopers tool
>designed to create standalone applications or is it a user purchased
>package required by other comms applications?

MacTCP is a CDEV and driver that applications can use to talk TCP/IP
on the Mac.  You can buy it in several ways:

$100 (or so) "MacTCP Development Kit" from APDA.  Individual copy of MacTCP
and documentation.

$2000 (or so, list) user's site license.  Right to use MacTCP anywhere in
your organization.

$5000 (or so, list) distribution license.  Right to distribute MacTCP with
applications you develop.

My price info may be wrong.  The license fees are (I think) yearly.

I think Apple intends that developers of applications will buy the
distribution license, and that end users will get MacTCP along with
applications that use it.  This is a bit of a problem for freeware/shareware
authors, who can't afford $5000/yr in licensing fees.

Note: you may be able to cut a deal with Apple on the fees, if they think
your product has or will sell a lot of Macintoshes.  Apple was very generous
with UIUC because of NCSA Telnet.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

masinter@parc.xerox.com (Larry Masinter) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr22.143451.14134@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:

> MacTCP is a CDEV and driver that applications can use to talk TCP/IP
> on the Mac.  You can buy it in several ways:

> $100 (or so) "MacTCP Development Kit" from APDA.  Individual copy of MacTCP
> and documentation.

> $2000 (or so, list) user's site license.  Right to use MacTCP anywhere in
> your organization.

> $5000 (or so, list) distribution license.  Right to distribute MacTCP with
> applications you develop.

> My price info may be wrong.  The license fees are (I think) yearly.

> I think Apple intends that developers of applications will buy the
> distribution license, and that end users will get MacTCP along with
> applications that use it.  This is a bit of a problem for freeware/shareware
> authors, who can't afford $5000/yr in licensing fees.

> Note: you may be able to cut a deal with Apple on the fees, if they think
> your product has or will sell a lot of Macintoshes.  Apple was very generous
> with UIUC because of NCSA Telnet.
> --
> Steve Dorner, U of Illinois Computing Services Office
> Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

It was $2500 for a 'site' Developer license for Xerox. Commercial and
university prices may differ. Perhaps the redistribution license is
yearly, but internal use is not.

EMail me if you want the ocr (send internet email address) or a fax
(send fax number) of the license agreement.
--
Larry Masinter (masinter@parc.xerox.com)
Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC)