[comp.sys.mac.comm] UPDATE: Mac as an X terminal over a serial line

mjohnson@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Mark S. Johnson) (04/23/91)

Most of the mail I received was "tell-me-what-you-find-out" in nature;
instead of individual responses, I'm just posting to the net.

The bottom line (based on several informative replies) is that the Mac
CANNOT (yet) be used as an X terminal over a serial line under the
MacOS.  One CAN use SLIP and MacX under A/UX, however.

The most knowledgeable folks responding to me were hoping that Apple
was working on SLIP for the Communications Toolbox under the MacOS. It
seems obvious by the volume of mail that I got that this would be a
Good Thing.

Thanks to all who helped.
Mark

--
Mark S. Johnson        mjohnson@stn9.me.calpoly.edu      (129.65.19.9)

rjc@css.itd.umich.edu (Robert John Churchill) (04/24/91)

Mark S. Johnson writes:

>Most of the mail I received was "tell-me-what-you-find-out" in nature;
>instead of individual responses, I'm just posting to the net.
>
>The bottom line (based on several informative replies) is that the Mac
>CANNOT (yet) be used as an X terminal over a serial line under the
>MacOS.  One CAN use SLIP and MacX under A/UX, however.

Actually, it is possible.  I'm using a SLFP developed here at the
University of Michigan (its buggy, though, and I can't redistribute
it, sorry) with MacTCP and MacX to dial in to my office's Unix machines
over my 9600 modem.  Works fine, usually, unless the SLFP hits one of
its bugs (such as buffer overflow, I believe).  Quite SLOW though.
Running an X-Windows application using Motif widgets usually takes over
5 seconds to recognize a mouse click, for example. Works with System 6.0.5
and System 7.0fc2.

It would be great if Apple would develop a good SLFP driver, I agree.

--
  Robert_John_Churchill@um.cc.umich.edu

userW6BP@um.cc.umich.edu (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr24.060749.29487@terminator.cc.umich.edu>,
rjc@css.itd.umich.edu (Robert John Churchill) writes:

>Actually, it is possible.  I'm using a SLFP developed here at the
>University of Michigan (its buggy, though, and I can't redistribute
>it, sorry) with MacTCP and MacX to dial in to my office's Unix machines
>over my 9600 modem.  Works fine, usually, unless the SLFP hits one of
>its bugs (such as buffer overflow, I believe).  Quite SLOW though.
>Running an X-Windows application using Motif widgets usually takes over
>5 seconds to recognize a mouse click, for example. Works with System 6.0.5
>and System 7.0fc2.
>
>It would be great if Apple would develop a good SLFP driver, I agree.
>

>--
>  Robert_John_Churchill@um.cc.umich.edu

Actually, Rob, it would be better if they would develop a good PPP
driver.  Does the same as SLFP but is much faster.  Also SLFP is
mostly a local thing. One or two other places use it.  PPP is on
it way to becoming a standard for dialup IP, and an RFC has been
issued for it.  I can't remember the number right now.

--Allan

bdavis@nic.cerf.net (Barry Davis) (04/24/91)

In article <2813ba42.5400@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, mjohnson@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Mark S. Johnson) writes:

> The bottom line (based on several informative replies) is that the Mac
> CANNOT (yet) be used as an X terminal over a serial line under the
> MacOS.  One CAN use SLIP and MacX under A/UX, however.

I wonder if anyone has used the KA9Q derived MacNet application as a
background process over which X-Windows might be run.  MacNet gives
you SLIP ability on a Mac and works with Multifinder.  Any ideas?

Cerafin E. Castillo		  ______    ______
TCP/IP LAN/WAN Connectivity	        \  /	        INET: cec@emulex.com
EMULEX Corporation		  ______ \/ ______
2880 Zanker Rd., Suite 204		 /\	        UUCP: uunet!emulex!cec
San Jose, CA  95131		  ______/  \______
(408) 452-4777			  E  M  U  L  E  X

	       "Beauty does what Beauty does best; it's Beautiful!"

bdavis@nic.cerf.net (Barry Davis) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr24.060749.29487@terminator.cc.umich.edu>, rjc@css.itd.umich.edu (Robert John Churchill) writes:
> Mark S. Johnson writes:
>    [deleted]
> >The bottom line (based on several informative replies) is that the Mac
> >CANNOT (yet) be used as an X terminal over a serial line under the
> >MacOS.  One CAN use SLIP and MacX under A/UX, however.
>
> Actually, it is possible.  I'm using a SLFP developed here at the
> University of Michigan (its buggy, though, and I can't redistribute
> it, sorry) with MacTCP and MacX to dial in to my office's Unix machines
> over my 9600 modem.  Works fine,...
>   [deleted]
>
>   Robert_John_Churchill@um.cc.umich.edu

Would MacNet (Mac-based KA9Q) be useable as a SLIP driver for MacX?  How
about NCSA Telnet, since it is similar to MacTCP?  InterConnect II?

rjc@css.itd.umich.edu (Robert John Churchill) (04/25/91)

Allan Bjorklund writes:
>Actually, Rob, it would be better if they would develop a good PPP
>driver.  Does the same as SLFP but is much faster.  Also SLFP is
>mostly a local thing. One or two other places use it.  PPP is on
>it way to becoming a standard for dialup IP, and an RFC has been
>issued for it.  I can't remember the number right now.

Hi Allan,

Actually, I have a PPP driver from Mark D.  I haven't had much luck
on getting it to work, though.  PPP probably will be the "preferred"
future, over SLFP. All a matter of time (& number of bugs), I guess.

--
  Robert_John_Churchill@um.cc.umich.edu
  University of Michigan ITD Consulting & Support Services

j1whalen@handel.helios.nd.edu (Jon Whalen) (04/26/91)

In article <W6BP672507626@um.cc.umich.edu> userW6BP@um.cc.umich.edu writes:

>Actually, Rob, it would be better if they would develop a good PPP
>driver.  Does the same as SLFP but is much faster.  Also SLFP is
>mostly a local thing. One or two other places use it.  PPP is on
>it way to becoming a standard for dialup IP, and an RFC has been
>issued for it.  I can't remember the number right now.
>
>--Allan

Could someone summarize the discussion (in generic terms) about the
dial-up Mac-to-mainframe internet connection options and maybe tackle
a few of the following questions?

1) What are the differences between SLIP, SLFP, PPP, etc?
2) What modem speeds are we talking about (2400, 9600, >)?
3) For each protocol, what products (freeware/shareware/commercial)
   are available?
4) What is needed on the mainframe side? (in particular Unix boxes, e.g.
   Sun workstations w/ SunOS 4.1)

If you feel like this is beating a dead horse, send me e-mail.

Thanx in advance!
--jon
 Jon Whalen @ U. of Notre Dame | At the moment, I have absolutely nothing to
 j1whalen@handel.helios.nd.edu | say. (Which is probably for the best.)

conrad@popvax.uucp (M20400@c.nobili) (04/26/91)

In article <2813ba42.5400@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> mjohnson@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Mark S. Johnson) writes:
>The bottom line (based on several informative replies) is that the Mac
>CANNOT (yet) be used as an X terminal over a serial line under the
>MacOS.  One CAN use SLIP and MacX under A/UX, however.
>--
>Mark S. Johnson        mjohnson@stn9.me.calpoly.edu      (129.65.19.9)

     I apologize if I missed the first of this thread and am repeating things.
But I just have a simple related observation and question....
     I can get MacX running past a GatorBox no problem.  What I cannot yet do
is get MacX going through the same network when accessing it through Liaison.
I can telnet, tn3270, ftp, and read news fine, but I can't MacX....
     I am a bit puzzled why I can't make this go, as Liaison ought to make a
reasonably transparent network connection.  (I guess my question is sort of
about MacX over a serial line and sort of about MacX over a network connection.)
     Has anyone gotten this to work?
     If it shouldn't work, can anyone offer a GOOD explanation for why?  Does
it have something to do with some evil inside of the CTB?  Is it just some sort
of timing problem (I have V.32/V.42bis modems -- reasonably fast)?
     Just curious, and hoping for some insight....
     If this has already been explained, I would welcome a copy via e-mail....
     Thanks much in advance....

+----   C   o   n   r   a   d       C   .       N   o   b   i   l   i     ----+
|         Harvard University          | Internet: conrad@harvarda.harvard.edu |
|       Office for Info. Tech.        |           conrad@popvax.harvard.edu   |
|        Information Services         | BITNET:   CONRAD AT HARVARDA          |
|     Technical & User Services       |           CONRAD AT HARVSPHB          |
|        1730 Cambridge Street        | voice:    (617) 495-8554              |
+----    Cambridge, MA  02138         | fax:      (617) 495-0715          ----+