[comp.sys.mac.comm] Help with FTP

SYSMEST@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (04/26/91)

Hello to FTP Experts or even Gifted Amateurs,

I saw a post in mac.games the other day describing a game demo called
"StrikeJets".  I have no FTP access so I'm using the BITFTP service
at Princeton Univ.  These are the commands I send and the output I
get back.  The address I use is bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu.

FTP MAC.ARCHIVE.UMICH.EDU NETDATA
USER ANONYMOUS
CD ARCHIVE/MAC/GAMES/DEMOGAMES
GET STRIKEJETS.SIT.HQX
QUIT

09:34:06 > FTP MAC.ARCHIVE.UMICH.EDU NETDATA
09:34:06 > USER ANONYMOUS
09:34:06 >>>> Username translated to "anonymous".
09:34:06 >> OPEN MAC.ARCHIVE.UMICH.EDU
09:34:07 <<< 220 ftp.ifs.umich.edu FTP server (Version 4.78 Sat Apr 13
             19:11:23 EDT 1991) ready.
09:34:07 >> USER anonymous SYSMEST@GECRDVM1
09:34:18 >>> USER anonymous
09:34:18 <<< 331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
09:34:18 >>> PASS ********
09:34:18 <<< 230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.

09:34:18 > CD ARCHIVE/MAC/GAMES/DEMOGAMES
09:34:18 >> CD ARCHIVE/MAC/GAMES/DEMOGAMES
09:34:19 >>> CWD ARCHIVE/MAC/GAMES/DEMOGAMES
09:34:19 <<< 550 ARCHIVE/MAC/GAMES/DEMOGAMES: No such file or directory

What list of commands would I use to retrieve a list of valid
directories at umich.  Also if you see anything else wrong with my
procedure please let me know.

Email responses appreciated...
Thanks in advance...
Mark . . .

rjc@css.itd.umich.edu (Robert John Churchill) (04/27/91)

In article <91116.075647SYSMEST@GECRDVM1.BITNET> SYSMEST@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com writes:

>I saw a post in mac.games the other day describing a game demo called
>"StrikeJets".  I have no FTP access so I'm using the BITFTP service
>at Princeton Univ.  These are the commands I send and the output I
>get back.  The address I use is bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu.
>
>FTP MAC.ARCHIVE.UMICH.EDU NETDATA
>USER ANONYMOUS
>CD ARCHIVE/MAC/GAMES/DEMOGAMES
>GET STRIKEJETS.SIT.HQX
>QUIT

Michael Dautermann (gee, do I know him?  :)  ) replies:

>This is good... so far... the path is "archive/mac/games/demogames"

>Now this is a mystery... there is and always has been a "demogames"
>folder in the games directory... sometimes, though (very rarely), a
>file server in AFS is taken down and then, to the rest of the world
>it literally disappears (for me, I see "connection timed out").
>This might have been the case as I know our developers have been working
>quite hard on improving the AFS system lately.
>Mark, try sending the ftp message again and see if it works this time.
>I'd like to hear you are indeed able to retrieve strikejets.. it's
>there.. it's available for y'all.. go get it.

Mark, try using lower-case in your requests to the archives. Case is
significant.  As Mike said, the file and directory are both there.
Hope that helps.

--
  Robert_John_Churchill@um.cc.umich.edu
  University of Michigan ITD Consulting & Support Services