[comp.sys.mac.comm] Freeware IP Mailer

marc@ellis.uchicago.edu (marc jacobson) (04/26/91)

Does anyone know of a mail program out there as freeware which allows Macs
with ethernet access to read their mail from a unix server without leaving
the Mac environment?  The idea is that the user would only have to double-
click on an icon, and get his/her mail without having to run NCSA Telnet
or MacIP, etc. and having to know unix commands, however simple.

Another application we are looking for is "ping" capability, either in
conjunction with the above program, or standalone.  And any other nifty
kinds of utilities that we could distribute to professors who are going
to soon be ethernetted and macified.

Thanks.

-marc

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.202454.18872@midway.uchicago.edu> marc@ellis.uchicago.edu (marc jacobson) writes:
>Does anyone know of a mail program out there as freeware which allows Macs
>with ethernet access to read their mail from a unix server without leaving
>the Mac environment?

Thar be scads.

Freeware:
Techmail (MIT; I think on mit.edu)
POPmail (UMN; boombox.micro.umn.edu, maybe?)
Eudora (UIUC; on ux1.cso.uiuc.edu)
MacPost (somewhere in Scandanavia)

Tokenware:
MacMH (Stanford; they want you to pay a $100 site license; mail networking@
jessica.stanford.edu)

Commercial:
TCP/Connect II (InterCon; mail kurt@intercon.com)

I'm sure I'm missing some.

Disclaimer: I wrote Eudora.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

d5peteg@dtek.chalmers.se (Peter Gustafsson) (04/27/91)

 In article <1991Apr25.202454.18872@midway.uchicago.edu> marc@ellis.uchicago.edu ! (marc jacobson) writes:
! >Does anyone know of a mail program out there as freeware which allows Macs
! >with ethernet access to read their mail from a unix server without leaving
! >the Mac environment?

And Steve Dorner, U of Illinois Computing Services Office
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.eduThar be scads.
answers

! Freeware:
! Techmail (MIT; I think on mit.edu)
! POPmail (UMN; boombox.micro.umn.edu, maybe?)
! Eudora (UIUC; on ux1.cso.uiuc.edu)
! MacPost (somewhere in Scandanavia)

! Tokenware:
! MacMH (Stanford; they want you to pay a $100 site license; mail networking@
! jessica.stanford.edu)

! Commercial:
! TCP/Connect II (InterCon; mail kurt@intercon.com)

I have tried most of these and Eudora is by far the best POP-program.
If you also want terminal (VTXXX and 3270), ftp and News in the same
program you should look at TCP/Connect (commercial).

    Peter Gustafsson
     Chalmers Univerity of Technology
     Sweden

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (04/28/91)

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>In article <...> marc@ellis.uchicago.edu (marc jacobson) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a mail program out there as freeware which allows Macs
>>with ethernet access to read their mail from a unix server without leaving
>>the Mac environment?

>POPmail (UMN; boombox.micro.umn.edu, maybe?)
Yes.
It's heinous.  (ugly, slow, not the best layout, not as intuitive as it
should be,...)
It's a Hypercard stack, and it uses POP2.

>Eudora (UIUC; on ux1.cso.uiuc.edu)
Not the prettiest face, but it's a real app.  (It's not as intuitive as
it should be, but it's fast, and is much easier to configure)
Uses POP3.

In both cases, the price is right.  In both cases, the manual is
unusable due to the brain-dead app that they are formatted for.

--
Brian Aslakson
    brian@cs.umn.edu (mail)

conrad@popvax.uucp (M20400@c.nobili) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr25.202454.18872@midway.uchicago.edu> marc@ellis.uchicago.edu (marc jacobson) writes:

>Another application we are looking for is "ping" capability, either in
>conjunction with the above program, or standalone.  And any other nifty
>kinds of utilities that we could distribute to professors who are going
>to soon be ethernetted and macified.

I know I posted something about this some months ago, but I'll be danged if I
can find a copy of what I said.  It's a bit of a drag since I can only give the
names of some things, without the info on where you can grab them from via ftp.

There is a program called superserver someplace which you can install on one of
your local unix machines.  Basically it is some sort of daemon which looks for
connections on a particular port from the client program which you will use to
access the service(s).  ANY user on the unix machine can publish any service
which he or she has the priveleges to execute.  Of course the service must be
able to take input and produce its output in a relatively simple fashion.

So, you get superserver and install it on a unix machine.  You (and others) can
then publish various services to the superserver process.  Then anyone who can
reach your machine can use client (that's the name of the desk accessory that
can be gotten with superserver to connect with it) to execute one of those pub-
lished services.

I had installed this on a machine a while back and found it quite useful.  It
was nice to have all of the simple little unix things like ping and who and
finger at the reach of my mouse.  All of these things are often necessary, but
it is quite annoying to have to fire up a telnet or tn3270 session and log in
to a "real" computer just to find out if someone is logged on or if some machine
is reachable from somewhere else....

I apologize for not having the location information for this software.  I looked
on one of my unix accounts and found this scrap of information though.  It was
in a file called NOTES which came with the superserver stuff.  Perhaps someone
can supply the ftp archive site name...?

     If you have questions, comments, bug reports, large amounts of excess cash,
     horny women, etc., send a letter to koreth@ebay.sun.com.

(Please don't flame ME about this person's preferred forms of compensation....)
(P.S.  Does this sort of appeal actually work???)

Well, I hope this helps some people.  The cool thing about a superserver/client
pair is that it is very general.  You can execute all sorts of programs from a
Mac DA.  You don't have to log in to another machine first.  And you have the
same user interface for all the services.  Many of these services would not be
worth writing separate applications for.  And it would be a pain in the *ss to
have lots of little applications like finger and who and ping kicking around on
your Mac anyway....

+----   C   o   n   r   a   d       C   .       N   o   b   i   l   i     ----+
|         Harvard University          | Internet: conrad@harvarda.harvard.edu |
|       Office for Info. Tech.        |           conrad@popvax.harvard.edu   |
|        Information Services         | BITNET:   CONRAD AT HARVARDA          |
|     Technical & User Services       |           CONRAD AT HARVSPHB          |
|        1730 Cambridge Street        | voice:    (617) 495-8554              |
+----    Cambridge, MA  02138         | fax:      (617) 495-0715          ----+